Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gacorrea Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2014, 03:22 PM
    Accounting for foreign securities investments gains and losses.
    How does one report for US tax purposes the gain realized on the sale of foreign securities where the sale proceeds have never been repatriated but reinvested in other securities?

I understand that the sale of the foreign securities generates 2 types of gains/losses: (1) the gain/loss realized in the foreign currency and (2) the gain/loss that arises from translating the foreign currency back to USD.

My question is: Insofar as the sale proceeds have not been converted back into USD, does this imply that no foreign exchange gain/loss has been realized for tax purposes?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 21, 2014, 04:27 PM
    The fact that the proceeds were not converted to USD is irrelevant. The sale of the foreign securities results in a capital gain which MUST be reported as a taxable transaction irrespective of the currency in which the sale was transacted.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Claiming losses on foreign investments [ 1 Answers ]

I am a US citizen and own a company based in another country. Can I claim a loss on US funds invested in this company on my federal tax return?

Investments in trading securities [ 2 Answers ]

Investments in trading securities

Securities in long term investments [ 3 Answers ]

Company A owns the following investments: trading securities (fair value) 60,000 available for sale securities (fair value) 35,000 held to maturity securities (amortized value) 47,000 Do I add the 35,000 and the 47,000 to get 82,000?

View more questions Search