Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nick888 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2007, 02:13 PM
    Can I claim Child tax credit?
    Dear Sir/Madam: I am H1b visa holder since 2004 and before that I was J1 visa(since 1/1/2001).I am from China. My son is J2 visa with my wife who is a student here (F1,my wife and son entered US at 7/1/2001 as J1 and changed to F1 in 91/2002). So if we file our 2006 federal tax jointly with my wife can we claim the child tax credit?And also if the green card petition is pending does it effect child tax credit?We did not clain child tax credit in past years and my son's ITINs begain with a 9.
    Thanks!
    Appreciating!
    Nick
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 17, 2007, 09:06 AM
    Nick:

You are definitely a resident alien, as is your wife. For this reason, you CAN claim the Child Tax Credit for your child.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Confusion over Child tax credit with ITIN applied along with Tax returns for 1st time [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am Bala and I came to US last year April 2006 with my family. I came to US with H1B visa and my spouse and kid has H4. I am aware of the fact that I can claim Child tax credit if I have ITIN for my child. But since there is change is process that we can't apply for ITIN separately and...

H1 status, can I claim EIC and Child Tax Credit [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I came to US for the first time on April 17th 2006. My son was born in India on July 24th. My wife and my son later joined me in US on Dec 5th 2006 My gross income for the finanicial Year 2006 was around 24000/- Can you please let me know what would be my tax filing status,...

Child tax credit :child on H-4 came August 2006 , [ 1 Answers ]

Hi atlanta tax guru I am on h-1 ( entered in June 2006) wife & son entered ( on h-4) August 2006 I am filing as resident alien as I passed test, Wife & son entered 19th August 2006 , are they pass test after 6 months Is it valid to call them resident alien after 19 feb 2007 ? And will...

Child Tax Credit [ 1 Answers ]

My Wife, and 14 month Daughter is living with me in California and are on H4 Visa. Since they do not have a SSN , can I still claim my child for 'Child Tax Credit'. I am filling under Married Filling Jointly. Also Is there any other way I can get Tax Credits for my Daughter other than...

Can I claim Tax credit for paying wife's tution on H4 [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I am on H1-b visa since last 2 years and my wife is on h-4. My wife went to school during 2006 and I paid the tution for her. I called up the university to get a 1098T form but the university denied as she is on H-4. So my question is whether I can claim her tution fees as a deductible while...

View more questions Search