Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mjt1648 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2007, 01:30 PM
    Do I pay taxes on inheritance from my mother
    My mother just passed away and leave me 200,000 dollars from her investments, do I pay taxes.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 5, 2007, 01:31 PM
    You most certainly do, one way or another !
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2007, 01:33 PM
    That depends on the laws where you live. If in the U.S. some states require a tax on inheritance and some don't. But, I am not including the federal tax. For an informative article on the subject, please see the following: An inheritance is tax-free to the heirs; it's the estate that pays the tax - USATODAY.com
    Expert

Apr 5, 2007, 01:54 PM
    Well, mr. clough, I was partially right ! If the estate pays the tax, then that's basically the inheritors, right ? So it's a no win situation.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 16, 2007, 01:29 PM
    If the estate is ONLY $200,000, then NO federal estate taxes are due. The estate exemption amount is in the $2M range. Cannot say for sure on the state, but I would be willing to bet that no state inheritance taxes are due either.

However, if the investments are in a traditional Individual Retirement Account, different story. That distribution IS subject to income taxes paid by the heirs.
    vivski Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2007, 04:44 PM
    This isn't a real answer, but more of a question on the same subject, maybe someone can clarify... I think I read somewhere that if you are named the beneficiary to an ira, then you are taxed on that asset, but if no beneficiary is named, then that ira is included to the estate and then subsequently taxed to the estate, and not the beneficiary of the estate, did I dream this, or am I correct in my understanding?
    Thanks in advance
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 21, 2007, 06:06 AM
    Vivski, you are correct. Income tax MUST be paid on the distributions from a traditional IRA, be it from the heir/beneficiary or from the estate.

Apr 21, 2007, 08:27 AM
    Thanks, atlanta tax expert. I've been reading a lot of questions on this site, and cannot believe how many people have the same questions ,and how many people are caught up in troubles with the IRS. I too, am one of them, and have a real tough question for anyone who feels they can tackle my issue, but am limited in time right now to go into details, so I must ask later this afternoon, if you think you might be interested in what I ask, please let me know. Again, thanks for the insight, so far everyone answering seems:) very nice, and knowledgeable in what they say. Have a good day!:)
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 23, 2007, 01:17 PM
    Vivski:

I have already commented on your issue, which is essentially to go hire a tax attorney!
    Expert

Apr 23, 2007, 03:09 PM
    You know what they say, there is nothing for sure but death and taxes.

Apr 23, 2007, 03:12 PM
    I cannot believe how fast you answer... and, I cannot thank you enough.
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 24, 2007, 08:48 AM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxes on Inheritance [ 1 Answers ]

Do I have to pay taxes on a piece of land that I inherited and recently sold?

Taxes on inheritance [ 1 Answers ]

My wife's aunt recently passed away in New York State. We live in Maryland. What state and federal taxes will have to be paid on the inheritance once the estate is settled. The estate is valued at less than one million. 2 blood relative split 50%. 8 nonblood relitives split the remaining 50%. ...

What state do you pay inheritance taxes in? [ 1 Answers ]

If my father dies in Delaware, but all of his children live in different states, whose inheritance tax laws are followed, Delaware's or the state that the individual heir lives in?

PA inheritance taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I received an automobile valued at $10,000 from my stepbrother's grandmother's estate. What, if any, taxes (PA and/or Federal) do I have to pay and when would they be due?

Inheritance and taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Here in California, a house left by our mother in a Trust, is to be sold and funds split between my siblings and myself, (approx. $60K each). What are my tax ramifications? Will this be taxed at a different rate? Will it be considered earned income? As you can see, I am at a total loss of what to...

View more questions Search