Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jeanne_Ellison Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2014, 11:09 AM
    What are the tax consequences of not taking your RMD at 70 1/2?
    When are you required to take the minimum distribution from your qualified IRA ?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 7, 2014, 03:04 PM
    You must start taking Required Minimimum Distributions (RMDs) in the calendar year you turn age 70-1/2. Actually you can hold off until April 15 of the following year, as long as you haven't filed your income taxes by then.

The tax consequences of not taking the RMD is pretty onerous - the amount you were required to take as a mandatory distribution but didn't is taxed at 50%.

More info here: http://www.irs.gov/Retirement-Plans/...istributions#8

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are the consequences when one violates parole by taking off his ankle bracelet [ 2 Answers ]

My son just was released May, 2011 after spending 6 years in prison in NJ. He got 5 yrs parole. I let him move in with me. I am his mother. He made an all out effort, but one night went to give a friend a ride home from a sports bar and had drank less than 2 beers. He was stopped and was honest...

What are the consequences of leaving my husband and taking my children in nj [ 2 Answers ]

I plan on leaving my husband and taking my 2 children 16 & 12 with me. I will not tell him ahead of time because of his temper. In the past/present there is physical and verbal abuse, but, I never called the police, therefore I do not have any proof of the incidents through the years. We've been...

Land contract - tax consequences [ 1 Answers ]

I'm considering selling my house on a land contract. The terms state that they will pay 8% down (the realtor takes 6%) and monthly payments at the rate of 8% on the principal. They will take care of taxes and insurance. What are the tax consequences for me? Will this be treated as income, or...

Tax consequences of inherited house [ 4 Answers ]

I live in California. My two sisters and I are beneficiaries in our step-mother's will which leaves us the family home, as well as her bank accounts, upon her death. There has been some talk about selling the home now and putting the proceeds into her bank account. She is in an assisted living...

View more questions Search