Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    handel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2007, 07:34 PM
    No state withholding by out of state employer?
    I live in Arizona and am an employee of a company based in Washington, DC. I noticed on my W2 that they did not withhold any state taxes at all for last year.

Is it legal for them to fail to withhold state taxes for an out-of-state employee?

Second question if you don't mind: I have Foreign Earned income and Capital Gains but don't need to file schedule D. To find my tax, I use the FEI worksheet, adding that number to the Qualified Divs/Cap Gains worksheet, then use that ultimate number on 1040? Just double-checking. This is a new level of complexity for me!

Thanks very much for your advice and expertise!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 4, 2007, 10:34 AM
    No, it is NOT legal. The employer should withhold those taxes.

If you have foreign EARNED income, you report it either with the WAGES (Line #7) or on Line #21 (Other Income).

You MAY want to get professional tax help. Contact me at email below if you want my help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Federal & State tax not withheld by employer [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, One of my friend's employer didn't withheld federal & state tax for the entire year 2006. Now his current year's tax is around $3,000. Last year's tax was around $275. I want to know, whether he is supposed to pay any penalty or interest? If yes, then is there any option for paying...

Employer did not withhold Georgia State Taxes [ 6 Answers ]

I just discovered my employer has not been withholding Georgia state taxes. They have been withholding all other taxes. Since we don't receive a pay stub each payday, I retrieved my first pay stub online and missed it. I haven't pull any others since the direct deposit was the same each time...

Federal return collected by state for state liability [ 1 Answers ]

I live in wi and filed married jointly I owe the wisc. Dep. Of revenue money but I have paid off the IRS . I filed my fed. Return electronicly and it was accepded, can the wisc .dep. Of rev. take my fed tax return? Or will my fed return be deposited in my account that I have specified with my...

Missing State Withholding Information [ 5 Answers ]

Hi there, I need to file my 2001 tax return for the State of Arizona. Yes, I know I'm a little late. How do I go about finding out my withholding for State Taxes for that year? I asked for and received a payer transcript so I could file my Federal Taxes, but the transcript did not list...

Employer in VA, I Live in NH which State Tax should be Withheld and filed for? [ 1 Answers ]

I work for and receive salary from, a company based in VA. I work in Boston, MA at the location of a Client of my employer. I live in NH and commute to MA. Which State Tax my employer should withheld and Where should I file my Tax Returns? Is it VA because the source of Salary is from VA based...

View more questions Search