Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nosingaround Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2007, 12:09 PM
    Foreign Tax Credit for Filing Jointly, but living in different countries
    Here's the situation:

I'm a Permanent Resident, worked full-time in the US in 2006.
    My spouse was on an H-1, worked in the US till July went back to home country. He worked in home country from July, earned equivalent of $2500 in 2006. He has no immediate plans of returning to the US. He paid taxes equivalent of $650.
    We usually file jointly, with joint accounts, etc.

How do we report his foreign income? Should I file a Form 1116? Can we get foreign tax credit even though he was not a permanent resident? If yes, can form 1116 be filed electronically?

Please help! Thanks!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 26, 2007, 11:14 PM
    You can file jointly, but not electrronically, as he must sign a statement stating his choice to file jointly with you. You can file Form 1116 to claim a tax credit for the foreign taxes paid.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help me compute US tax liaibility after foreign tax credit [ 2 Answers ]

:eek: A us company Frank expand with a new co (Ana) formation into a foreign host company with a 20% tax on corporate income within its borders. At the end of its fourth yr of operations the foreign corp Ana distributes $100,000 to Frank from its earning and progits previously taxes by the host...

Tax filing jointly or separately? [ 3 Answers ]

I am in USA since May 2006. My wife and kid are still in India. My wife does not work. Both of them are dependent on me. I am going to India on 15th March 2007 and I would be back to USA with my wife and kid on 7th April 2007. My wife and kid are coming for the first time to USA. So, they do...

2006 Tax - H1B Married Filing jointly, ITIN for H4 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am H1B holder working from July 2006. I am placed in client location in Illinois. But I was getting my paystub from California(Employer 1 - California Employer) till Nov 2006. And for December 2006 I got pay stub from Illinois(Employer 2 - Illinois Employer). I have got two W2 forms. My...

Married in 2006 - Tax Filing Jointly [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Greatly appreciate if someone can provide me the procedure for filing federal taxes jointly. Got married in Aug. I am on H1 and my wife is on H4 Visa. Thanks, Sri

Foreign Income in two diff countries . But paid tax already in those countries [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am resident alien for Tax Yr 2006. I earned some income in Singapore (3 months) and In India (3 month) in Yr 2006. I guess, I can claim foreign tax credit for India as I am citizen of India and I pass 12 months test. But In Singapore I was on for 5 consecutive months and out of that only...

View more questions Search