Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justmuckit Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2007, 03:10 PM
    Zero income Married student.File or not?
    I am a married full-time college student who earned zero income in 2005.

Do I need to file? (State and/or Federal)

Are there any benefits to filing?

Thanks in advance!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 22, 2007, 08:28 AM
    If you earned ZERO income, you have no legal obligation to file.

However, if your spouse is earning money, you may want to file jointly with him/her or have him/her claim you as a dependent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Resident? F-1 Student with 1099-MISC income [ 6 Answers ]

I realize this is probably a lot of information but I've been on the IRS website multiple times and CANNOT figure out whether I owe taxes: 1. I am currently on an F-1 visa for graduate school in Washington, D.C. - I arrived in the U.S. in Sept 97 on an F-1 visa for boarding high school....

Income exempt from tax? (Chinese F1 student on OPT) [ 18 Answers ]

Hi, I am preparing Form 1040NR (or 1040NR-EZ) for my 12-month OPT under a F1 student visa. I am a citizen of People's Republic of China and I received Form 1040-MISC from my employer for the work I did during my OPT. I would like to know whether my income is partially or totally exempt...

Married both f-1 student [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I’m on f1 student visa, my wife also is on f1 student visa and we have a baby, we are from Jordan,we both have scholarship from the same school,this is our 3rd year in the US. 1)which forms do we have to use for Taxes? 2)can we file as jointly married or do we have to file separately...

Taxes-F1 Student married to a US Citizen [ 4 Answers ]

Dear experts, I have a very secific question regarding my F-1 visa status and my taxes. I came here in 2003 on an F1 visa and got married to a US citizen in 2005.We are both NY residents through the whole 2003-2007 year period. I am still on my F1 status , even though we intend to file the...

Non resident alien student with both W2 and 1099-MISC reported income [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a nonresident alien student (under an F-1 visa) and I had a campus job for which I got a wage reported in Box 2 of a W2 form. During the summer, I got a job for which I got a 1099-MISC form (reporting my income in Box 7). As far as I know, I should file a 1040NR form adding a Schedule C-EZ and...

View more questions Search