Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Arulmurugan Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2013, 12:28 PM
    Certified true copies from US Consulate
    I would like to know the updated procedure to get ITIN for my wife and children, they are living in cheenai. I took appointment and the US Consulate, chennai officials certified their passport copies and return back them, is that paspport copies (first page, last page and Visa page) along with W-7 form and State and Federal Tax copies will help to get their ITIN without any issues. Please clarifiy any other procedure to be followed. Thanks.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 15, 2013, 12:45 PM
    Do NOT go to the U.S. consulate in Chennai; they probably do NOT have the proper training to certify the passport.

Go to the Indian Interior Ministry and ask THEM to certify the passport photocopy as a ture copy, plus request an apostille to show proof that the passport is itself an authentic passport.

Submit the Indian Interior Ministry-certified photocopy with the apostille stapled to the Form W-7, and paperclip that document to the federal tax return, mailing to the ITIN center in Austin, TX.

Once you get the ITIN, then (and only then) file the state return.

Feb 15, 2013, 02:11 PM
    Thanks for the reply. As per the new process ITIN procedure has been changed it seems. Please find the details are as follows :

What are the new procedural changes to the ITIN application requirements?
    The IRS is revising its procedures for issuing new Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITINs) based on an extensive review of the ITIN process and feedback from Certifying Acceptance Agents (CAAs) and Acceptance Agents (AAs), stakeholders and others. Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, must include original documentation such as passports and birth certificates, or certified copies of these documents by the issuing agency. Notarized or Apostilled copies of documentation will not be accepted.

Certified Photocopy
    The Consulate also can make certified true copies of documents for use in the United States. For example, the Consulate can make a certified true copy of an Indian citizen's passport for submission with Form W-7 to the U.S. Internal Revenue Service to obtain an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). Please note that the Consulate does not provide certified true copies for documents that will be submitted to Indian government authorities. Persons seeking a "true copy" for use in India should consult with an Indian notary public.

Please update to proceed further.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 15, 2013, 07:36 PM
    What is the source of the information you have posted?

Feb 16, 2013, 09:01 AM
    Source of Information is available in the below link
    2013 ITIN Updated Procedures Frequently Asked Questions

Notarials | Consulate General of the United States Chennai, India
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 16, 2013, 11:11 AM
    I see about the apostille ban.

However, I suggest you call the U.S. consulate in Chennai and CONFIRM that the website for the consulate is accurate. Many of the consulates have NOT updated their websites to reflect the new ITIN procedures.

Feb 16, 2013, 02:32 PM
    Yes, I had a check with US consulate in chennai via mail and fixed the appointment and they are issuing certified true copies after verifying the original passports and sign the copies with seal and the fees for this service is $50 per seal and sign to apply for the ITIN process.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 16, 2013, 04:54 PM
    I will call the CAA Hotline on Monday to confirm that the ITIN Processing Center will accept these copies from the U.S. consulate.

Normally I would accept that the U.S. consulate can do this this process at face value, but so much has changed in the past 9 months that I back-check everything.

Feb 17, 2013, 10:35 AM
    Thanks for your help. Awaiting for your reply to take it forward.

Feb 18, 2013, 05:10 PM
    Is there any chance to check it today...
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 18, 2013, 08:30 PM
    I called, but got voicemail.

I later realized today is a federal holiday, so the IRS offices were closed.

I will call tomorrow.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 19, 2013, 09:22 AM
    Just got off the phone with the IRS.

They WILL accept passport photocopies certified as true copies by U.S. consulates and embassies overseas.

Feb 19, 2013, 10:54 AM
    Thank you very much for the update. This is really helpful for me to take it forward.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 19, 2013, 01:16 PM
    Glad to help!
    rajattripathi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2013, 11:19 AM
    Hi Arulmurugan ,
    My situation is same , my wife is in delhi .
    Thanks to this thread now , I will ask my wife to get the copies from delhi counslate..

Please post once your ITIN application is submitted and they accept the certified copies.

Thanks
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 22, 2013, 12:26 PM
    Make sure she calls first for an appointment.
    rams611 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2013, 03:31 AM
    Hi ArulMurugun - Did you carry black & white copies of passport to get certify?

Or

Color copies of passport?

Thank you
    Ramesh
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 1, 2013, 03:48 AM
    I know from experience that the IRS wants clear, color photocopies of the passport picture page.

Mar 25, 2013, 11:01 AM
    After submitting the W-7 Form along with the true certified copies for processing, How long it will take to receive the ITIN from IRS. In my case I have submitted the application on 1st March, there is no update received yet from IRS.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
    Arul
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 25, 2013, 08:35 PM
    The norm is 6-8 weeks, but some of my clients have gotten them in 3 weeks, others 10-12.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is the Portuguese Consulate in Edinburgh a honorary consulate? [ 3 Answers ]

Is the Portuguese Consulate in Edinburgh a honorary consulate? Or are all services like passport issuance, bilhete de identidade renewal etc also possible there? When did this Consulate open, any idea? The address is given as Consulate of Portugal 25 Bernard Street Edinburgh Midlothian EH6...

In desperiate need of our certified copies and no money [ 2 Answers ]

We just moved out of our home state to another state. All our info was either stolen or lost in storage. We need to get certified birth certificates and ID. The problem is we only have copies and no one will except them. I went to the DMV and they need orginals. My kids school need certified ...

Consulate Fee [ 1 Answers ]

Want To Know If you are applying for passport and visa would you pay for any counsultation fee and also I want to know how much will that cost

Scan certified/notariced copies of passport [ 3 Answers ]

Do anyone know if the IRS accept scanned certified/notarised copies of passport for W-7,any suggestions wiil be appreciated.

True or Not True about Breast Cancer and plastic bottle water in left a car [ 8 Answers ]

I had this conversation with one of my co-works today regarding Breast Cancer. She told me that you women can get breast cancer by bottle water left in a car. I don't believe it. Is there anyone who can answer this question please?

View more questions Search