Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kxm Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2012, 02:50 PM
    Need help with reason for US address for form W-8BEN
    I am an Indian citizen and arrived in the US on September 1, 2012. I opened a bank account but I have received a form back saying that the reason for US address is not valid. I had mentioned that I am on H1B and will be working in the US and hence I have provided a US address where I will be residing while here.

What else can I include? Would appreciate if anyone could help.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 11, 2012, 06:26 PM
    Reading the form instrutions, it says not to mail it to the IRS but to give it to the withholding agent. So have you provided the form to the payroll department where you work.

Instead, give it to your withholding agent.

Instructions for Form W-8BEN (2/2006)

Sep 12, 2012, 05:33 AM
    I had to submit a W4 to my employer.

The W-8BEN and the supplement form, the one which I am actually having problem with, was given while opening the account. They said it was a standard procedure for a Non-Resident Alien opening an account.

I am trying to understand what kind of a reason are they looking for.

Please help.
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

Sep 12, 2012, 06:50 AM
    You reason is a valid reason. You should ask your bank why they rejected it (as it is not the IRS who gets the form).

Sep 12, 2012, 07:01 AM
    Thanks. I called the bank customer care and they said they have no information about the particular form. :)

Anyway, I guess I need to drop in at the branch and check with them.

Thanks all for the help. Appreciate it!!
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Sep 19, 2012, 02:44 AM
    kxm,
    You are in U.S. on H1-B so you do not file W-8BEB. The bank interest is your taxable income.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

W-8ben or w-9 form [ 1 Answers ]

I was in us from 2007-2009 and again starting from July 2011. I opened a interest bearing account in a bank and now I have received w-8 ben form from the bank to fill. I am on h1 b visa now, 1: so do I need to fill w-8 form or w-9 form. 2: I just had the interest bearing account for 2 months...

W-8BEN form [ 2 Answers ]

Dear one, I found this site when I search various sites regarding to get help to fill W-8BEN form. I am doing advisory service through liveperson.com I am in India. They have send this form and request me to fill and send it back. In part 1 I have filled the required details. In that I...

H1-B file form W-8BEN or form W-9? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have been on H1-B visa since Oct 05, and before that I was on F-1 for about a year or so. I am participating in my employer's stock purchase plan and the brokerage firm that administers this is asking me to fill out a form W-9 or a form W-8BEN. Which form should I be filling out? Am I...

W4 or W-8Ben Form [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I reach US with family on H1B ( First time) on October 31st. Which Form I have to fill for Tax withholding W4 or W-8Ben for this year (Now) and Next year ( jan 2008) Kind Regards Johnson Thomas

View more questions Search