Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vipulgupta470 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2012, 11:21 AM
    No Tax paid in foreign country but would be forced to pay tax in US
    Suppose I have a property in India from which I am getting rent in my NRO account amounting to 10,000Rs per month. I don't have any other source of income in India. This amounts to 1.2 lakhs per annum based on which I don't have to file any taxes in India as my income in India is less than than lowest taxable bracket which is 1.6 lakhs. In short, I don't have to pay taxes in India for that.

Now, we need to declare our Global income while filing taxes in US. So, now I would need to declare my rental income as "Other Income" while filing taxes here, which means that I would have to show 200USD per month amounting to 2400 USD per annum. Suppose my US income is 100 K and I would need to add my indian rental income to it, my total income in US would become 102K approx and I would be taxed on that. So, now I would be paying taxes on 2400 usd earned in India even though in India I didn't pay any taxes on that.

Can anybody confirm this please?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 23, 2012, 11:41 AM
    You MUST declare all world-wide income on your U.S. tax return if you are filing as a resident.

However, rental income is reported on Schedule E, on which you also report your rental EXPENSES, to include depreciation on the property (over a 40-year period).

In most cases, the expenses ewxceed the income, and you show a paper LOSS.

If you want my professional help, double-click on my title above and scroll down to my profile/signature. You will find my email address and websites there if you cannot see it on this page.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

TAX NRA/ Foreign National gifting under $100,000 a year to US Citizen pay tax? [ 3 Answers ]

The qustion is relevant not only to tax payments but also keeping in mind that the NRA uses an account for NRA (so no SS#) on a US bank to draw checks that are deposited on a personal account by the daughter who is a US citzen. The NRA account is funded solely through foreign deposits. No...

Tax: How to bring $50000 from a foreign country, pay no tax & use money for mortgage? [ 5 Answers ]

Need to bring $50,000 cash into US. Was given as a gift from non US citizen/resident family member. Can I bring it into US, pay no tax and use it to pay as down payment for a house? How do I prove that it was a gift from family member outside the US? Thanks!

Green card hold tax paid in foreign country what status for paying tax in atlanta [ 1 Answers ]

Hi,I have been having green card for the last 24year,since 2001 I have working outside usa with a charitable hospital as a consultant but visiting my wife and kids after every five months who live in atlanta and are us citizen.I have been filing my taxes since I arrived in usa in 1985.I have been...

Foreign country inheritance tax [ 1 Answers ]

I would appreciate your reply regarding foreign country inheritance. I am a USA citizen. The inheritance is coming from Spain. I have paid the inheritance tax in Spain. Is there a limit on how much inheritance dollar amount before being taxed? Is there any inheritance tax if the money is coming...

Form 1116, foreign tax credit: Tax paid vs tax accrued, exchange rates and dates [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm applying for foreign tax credit on taxes I've paid / accrued on interest earned in savings accounts and certificate deposits in New Zealand. For cds, the bank statements don't give precise dates for when taxes were withheld. And so I have several questions relating to form 1116, Part II: ...

View more questions Search