Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    saud3001 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2011, 11:49 AM
    Tax calculation on large amount of money sent from India as wire transfer.
    Hello,

I am a new immigrant into the US. I currently own some property in India (where I originally belong to) which when sold would accumulate a net worth of USD150,000. I plan on using this amount to purchase a house in USA for my own residence. Also, my father wants to send me USD 300,000 as gift money.

My questions are:
    1) What would be my tax situation in USA when I get the money here in my account through wire transfer?
    2) If my father/relative sends me the money to me as gift through wire transfer from his acoount in india, how much will it be taxed in USA?

Looking forward to valuable replies in this regard.

Thank You
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 10, 2011, 12:03 PM
    1. There is no tax on wire transfers, but you may have a capital gain to report. Assuming you are a US resident you would pay capital gains on the profit of the sale of the house in India. Figure about 20% of the difference between the proceeds from the sale and your tax cost basis.

2. There is no tax on receipt of gifts.
    wlee123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2011, 02:57 AM
    Elaine's... Are you a tax lawyer or CPA? How can I contact you for getting more possible advise? Thx.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much % tax refund amount will I get if am back to India. [ 1 Answers ]

I with L1- Visa working in USA since 4 years and earning $65,000k/annum, How much % tax refund amount will I get if am back to India.

Overaseas money wire transfer [ 6 Answers ]

Here is my question. I lent my father in law 200k so he could buy a house in a hurry. I had a overseas account in Asia. I transferred the money to my account in asia and he withdrew from there. Now he want to pay the amount back plus want to give large sum of money as a gift so we can buy...

Large amount of money given to me as gift [ 2 Answers ]

I have a elderly man who doesn't have children or a spouse who is a good friend of mine. He has a farm and was going to will it to me when he dies but instead he decided to sell it now so he can enjoy the rest of his days. He is now wanting to give me as a gift a very large amount of money. What...

Large amount of money from Ghana [ 3 Answers ]

Receiving of 1.1 million dollars from my uncle in Ghana. Bank is holding the money for transfer to the states. They want $1000 to process the transfer with a certificate of authiticity of the funds. Does this sound right? Plus will I have to pay US income as well? Need someone's help on...

View more questions Search