Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adpilove Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2007, 03:43 PM
    Independent Contractor?
    Hello I took on this part time job since last May and immediately they started paying me via Western Union and also Pay Pal. Never once did they ever discuss they'd be reporting wages, I always believed it was "under the table" money. They never had sign a W-9 or an independent Contractor form, nothing. Well just last week they send me an email that states that they need me to sign a W-9 form because I made over $600 with them. So basically I'm going to be taxed for the money I earned. Only prob is, I didn't hold any money over that I made, to pay for taxes. I feel very deceived and maybe this was my own naïve nature. I probably should have asked from the beginning about this but never in all the jobs I've ever had, were things handled like this. Does anyone have any solutions for me? Thanks so much!:confused:
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 24, 2007, 03:50 PM
    First, are you a international student, resident alien, U.S. citizen, whatever?

Second, how much money are we talking about?

Third, how old are you?

Finally, by law, they are doing the correct thing legally, so answer my questions so I can give you an estimate on how much, if any, you will owe in taxes.

Jan 24, 2007, 04:06 PM
    I am a U.S. Citizen, 29 yrs old, I would say its about $5000. I know I will be able to use some deductions, but this just sucks regardless. I've never had to pay EVER.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 24, 2007, 06:37 PM
    I have to ask, how you could think you could do work, get paid and not have to pay taxes on it.

Even if they did not report it, "under the table money" is suppose to be reported or you are basically cheating on your taxes. It does not matter if they report your income on a 1099 or not, you by law are suppose to report it on your taxes.

And as a self employed people you have also the self employment tax that is included on your income.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 24, 2007, 09:32 PM
    Fr Chuck is right, of course, but I will not pile on!

Did a quick calculation. If you have NO deductions on your Schedule C (unlikely, as you had to use some of your own money for expenses), you would owe $353, ALL in self-employment tax.

You MAY want to get professional tax help, as you have to file Form 1040 with Schedules C and SE and EIC and maybe Form 4562.

If you want my help, contact me at [email protected].

Jan 25, 2007, 10:22 AM
    Thanks so much Atlanta Tax Expert. I have consulted with an accountant that will assist me with my taxes this year. Thanks so much.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 25, 2007, 12:37 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Both Employee and Independent Contractor... [ 13 Answers ]

How do I properly file my taxes if I worked as an Employee and an Independent Contractor at various times throughout the year?

Independent Contractor Qualification [ 1 Answers ]

Could a Massage Therapist or Electrologist satisfy the federal requirements to be compensated as an independent agent by a retail salon in Indiana?

Both Independent Contractor and Employee? [ 6 Answers ]

I work as a marketing assistant for a real estate company, I get a base salary that the company pays, and on top of that I get a "commission bonus" from the specific agents I work for that is paid directly out of pocket by those agents. The commission bonus is based on what those agents themselves...

Small Jobs Independent Contractor [ 2 Answers ]

In 2005, I worked primarily as an independent contractor, for several small companies and non-profits. Two of them were for over $600 and sent me 1099s, but three of them were under $600 jobs and didn't send me anything. Am I obligated to report these three? (I'm imagining the answer is yes, but I...

New independent contractor [ 2 Answers ]

I just took 2nd job--as independent contractor. I don't want to end up having to pay at end of tax year (2006) so can someone tell me what I need to do to pay taxes throughout year out of each check I receive so I don't end up having to pay at the end of the year next year?? I'd rather do it on...

View more questions Search