Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rbala11 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2011, 10:03 AM
    US citizen living in india
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 22, 2011, 03:12 AM

A U.S. citizen or resident must report worldwide income even when he or she does not live in the U.S. If your total worldwide income exceeds the filing requirement, a U.S. citizen or resident must file your U.S. tax return. If you paid taxes in the foreign country, you will claim credit for taxes paid in the foreign country by filing Form 1116 or can file form 2555 Foreign Earned Income Exclusion. Even if you have a filing requirement, the chances are you will not pay any U.S. tax or pay very little U.S. tax.

Another filing requirement is Form TD F 90-22.1. Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Citizen or Resident with Foreign Income

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxes for EU citizen married to US citizen living abroad [ 1 Answers ]

What about the non-US citizen married to a US citizen both living in Europe and not earning income in the US? Does the non-US citizen need to file for US taxes when he has no US income nor is a US citizen? Would the US citizen spouse should just file in married filing separately?

Canadian citizen married to US citizen living in Canada, tax information [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, My wife and I have lived in Canada since August 2008. She has not filed US tax returns since 2008 and I would like to have them filed prior to our move to the US by late 2011. I am a little lost on which forms to use. Here is how our current income breaks down. Wife (USC) - 2008...

You.S. Citizen married to you.K. Citizen currently living in UK and wanting to move to US [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I am a US citizen (24 years old) currently living in the UK with my husband (30 years old) who is a UK citizen. We were married in Nov. 2007 in California which is where I am from. I am currently living with him and working as I obtained a UK Spouse VISA. My VISA runs out in July and am...

Is Annuity income of US Citizen taxable in India under USA-India DTAA ? [ 1 Answers ]

1. I am PIO and a USA Citizen( age 72) and live in India with tax status changed from Resident but not ordinarily Resident to Resident and ordinarily Resident( Exceeding the 183 days etc etc). 2. I have to file Indian Income Tax return by July 31, 2010. 3. I receive Social Secuirty Income from...

Can I claim my father (U.S Citizen) now living in India as dependent [ 2 Answers ]

My father after becoming US Citizen moved back to India for health reasons. My mother holds a Green card but had to follow him. I am supporting them and sending money via bank account. They do not have any other income. In the past I did claim them as dependents, but now since they are out of the...

View more questions Search