Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kndjwm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2011, 02:40 PM
    Are new members of an LLC responsible for outstanding debts of the LLC?
    My partner and I are 50/50 owners of an LLC. We are both managing members. 50% of our ownership was used as collateral for loans from an investor. The investor is also a managing member but did not have an ownership interest in the LLC until we defaulted on the loans. The investor now has 50% ownership of the LLC. The investor claims that any outstanding debts of the LLC are our responsibility and he is only responsible for new expenses. If he owns 50% of the LLC and it's profits, does he share 50/50 in any outstandig debts of the LLC regardless of when the during the year he took ownership? It would appear to me that if you elect to take 50% of a company, you take the debts along with it. Also, according to our agreement, my partner and I still maintain 2/3 of the managing member votes.

Check out some similar questions!

S Corp 100% owner in LLC (Taxed as S Corp), How do I account for LLC on S Corps books [ 1 Answers ]

I have an S Corp that is a 100% owner in an LLC (which is taxed as an S corp). I am preparing the taxes for the companies and have run into a problem. I have given the S corp the k-1 from the llc and put the $'s into "other income" (Income section, line 5 1120s schedule). However, in filling in...

Members of LLC don't want to sell property [ 5 Answers ]

My husband and I own a property along with two other members that don't want to sell the commercial property because they think the market is going to come back and they can make 200,000. We have a buyer that will give us 800,000 for it now. We want to sell, they won't agree to sale so we want to...

Outstanding debts [ 2 Answers ]

What is the tme limit of a judgement or an outstanding credit card debt?

Single Member LLC or Partnership (Husband/Wife) LLC (Tax Advantages) [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My wife is winding down to her last semester in college and has already gotten really busy with freelance work. In the midst of all this work is contracts, deadlines, and money. On the side we have been doing photography work for a little over a year now, but will no doubt get a lot...

Llc in PA [ 2 Answers ]

I am part of an Llc with 4 members. There was a falling out in which I have physically left the business. I want to end this chapter in my life appropriately however there is much animosity among the parties and nothing has been accomplished over a 7 month period. Is there a motion I can file to...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.