Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nikifor0 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2007, 01:05 PM
    Work and Travel - tax return 2006
    I was on a Work and Travel program in 2006. I am from Bulgaria and would like to know about the itemise deductions some more. I read aboput that I can use personal exemptions on the amount of 3300 USD for 2006 and itemise deductions. Is this correct?
    Can I put my work and travel program cost and my airfare cost as an itemise dedctions? Where I should write down in form 1040NR - which lines? Should I attach a copy of my airfare or is not nececary?

Thanks for the help!
    Nikolay
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 13, 2007, 06:20 AM
    Nikolay:

You should file Form 1040NR.

Your personal exemption is $3,300.

Your initial move to the U.S. from Bulgaria is considered a moving expense, which should be reported on Form 3903 and attached to Form 1040NR.

The work and travel costs are employee business expenses IF you have not received any reimbursements for these costs. These expenses are documented on Form 2106 and deduected on Schedule A.

Your situation screams for professional tax help. I am available. If interested, contact me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2006 Tax Questions - Leaving the US for good [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I am a resident alien in Bronx, NY. I starting (very early, I know :)) to gather information about filing my 2006 tax return, which is due at the beginning of 2007. Here are a few things about my situation: I have two income sources, one from wages, another one is a scholarship My wife...

J-1 visa exempt of SS and Medicare taxes (Work and Travel program) [ 4 Answers ]

Hi everybody, I was present in us for 150 days in 2005 on a J-1visa. I participate in Work and Travel program. Surprisingly for me, my employer deducts SS and Medicare taxes from my salary. I talked to him about that and he said that IRS would fix the mistake in the end of the year. I filled...

Tax filing for 2006 [ 5 Answers ]

Hi: My husband and I came to the US on Sept2000 with an F1, and travel to Costa Rica (CR) every year for 20-30 days in dec/jan.Been filing married filing separate 1040NREZ as advised at my University.No treaty exists with CR so each of us only claim the standard deduction ($3200 for 2004).I will...

Do I really need to pay my tax from May 1st, 2006. [ 2 Answers ]

I came to USA with a H1B visa in May, 2005. Someone told me that person with H1B visa doesn’t pay the state and federal taxes at the first three years. But the director of Human Resources in my center told me that I will have to start paying federal and state taxes on May 1st. Can you help me and...

Tax Return Till march 31 2006 [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I'm on H1-B, I'm going back to india and may not come back to US So I want to clear all my tax dues I want to fill the tax return till march 31 2006, how Can I do that and I don't have a W4 form for the perion Jan06 - marc 06 Thanks Sukhmeet

View more questions Search