Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dbandoo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2010, 04:12 PM
    Worked for co. 20 years 10 years were on 1099 misc. Can I still collect unemployment?
    Can I collect unemployment?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 23, 2010, 04:33 PM

For the last year where you 1099 or where you an employee.

If you were a 1099 these last years, no, 1099 workers can not get unemployment.
    dbandoo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2010, 04:40 PM

I have been employed with a company for 20 years. The first 10 years I was in-office working as an employee. When I became pregnant I gave my two-week notice to resign. The president of the company gave me an “offer” to tele-commute; which I took and have been doing it for the last 10 years. They changed my filing to 1099. I was still working 80 set hours (meaning if I didn’t work those 80 hours I’d still get paid for 80 hours); getting my yearly bonus; time and a half when working before 9:00 AM and after 5:00 PM and double time on weekends, if I left “the office” I had to check in and out with someone in the main office. 2001 or 2002 the company changed everyone’s hours (due to the economy) and they changed me to working 40 set hours (part-time) but still I was “on call” with the same hours and bonus, etc. Last month I was told I would have to be let go and they’re giving me three months to find another job. My question is am I considered an “employee” and can I collect unemployment if I do not find anything before September.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Aug 23, 2010, 11:25 PM

When you are a W-2 employee, your employer takes care of making payments toward state unemployment insurance.
    As a 1099-misc employee, you have to make this payment yourself, which normally 1099-misc employees do not do. So you will not get unemployment income.
    wnhough Posts: 200, Reputation: 12

Aug 23, 2010, 11:29 PM
    QUOTE," . . . am I considered an “employee” and can I collect unemployment if I do not find anything before September. "---
    As you can see, in fact, some companies don't fully understand the difference of concept between independent contractors and employees. Even among companies that do understand the difference, there are those that attempt to exploit the relationship, because it's clearly to their advantage to do so. ( they actually convert employees into independnet contractor's status)Because companies don't have to withhold federal, state( if applicable) and FICAtaxes, or pay unemployment or workers' compensation insurance for independent contractors. They also don't need to offer benefits like paid sick leave, vacation, health insurance and stock options, as they do to attract and retain employees. Furthermore, companies don't have to offer much of anything to independent contractors.
    You can contact your state agency, Employment Development Department (EDD),most involved with the determination of independent contractor status , and is also is concerned with employment-related taxes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I collect unemployment if I'm 1099? [ 20 Answers ]

I started working as a full time W-2 employee for a small business owner in 2003. I'm the only full time employee. Four years being W-2 my shady boss moves her business in her home. She did not have a permit to run her business from her home and started to get in trouble so she changed me to 1099...

Can 1099 employees collect unemployment [ 11 Answers ]

By Nov. 2009 I was in appeal forUE benefits for 10 months from a previous NJ employer. I held 2 other jobs for W-2 part time employment and accepted a third job to make ends meet at that time ,but the chiropractor (most recent job)"can't afford" payroll taxes so I am on a 1099. I KNOW I do not...

Where do I collect unemployment? (worked from home in CA for DC company) [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I worked for my company for 5 years. It's based out of DC, and I worked in the DC office for 3 years... then I relocated to Boston for 1 year and worked out of my home there... then I moved to CA about a year ago and also have been working from home. I got laid off a week ago and I can't...

Can I collect unemployment if I'm 1099? [ 1 Answers ]

I started working as a full time W-2 employee for a small business owner in 2003. I'm the only full time employee. Four years being W-2 my shady boss moves her business in her home. She did not have a permit to run her business from her home and started to get in trouble so she changed me to 1099...

Filing 1099-Misc.7 years later [ 1 Answers ]

I recently found out that the previous AP mgr at my company did not file a 1099 on a person we paid in 2001 - 2004. Do I even need to file a 1099 on him now? If yes, what do I need to do? Will I have to file a 1099 separately for each year? Thanks! ;)

View more questions Search