Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zpunky Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2010, 05:55 PM
    Massachusetts-limits on amended returns
    Please forgive this re-post. I could not edit my previous question to make it clearer.
    My brother is PoA for both my parents and only filed their 2005 tax return in Dec 2008 or Jan 2009 (they left MA in early 2006). He did not correctly account for the cost basis of their 2005 stock trades so MA is taxing my parents on the TOTAL of the trades, not just the total trades less cost basis. Last February, they started garnishing my parents' social security. Is there a deadline for amending their returns, or is there any remedy for these two, elderly (81 and 82 yo) people who have no other source of income?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 30, 2010, 12:20 PM
    You can amend the returns anytime. Further, since the return was filed LATE (DEC 2008 or JAN 2009), you can still amend the 2005 return and claim any refund that was not originally claimed.

Given that your brother botched it the first time, you should hire a local, experienced tax professional and have him/her prepare the amendment. The tax professional may also be able to help you STOP the garnishment.

Further, Massachusetts should NOT be able to garnish their Social Security benefits unless their net worth is such that the garnishment will NOT affect their standard of living.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I find out the status of 540X returns (amended California tax returns) [ 1 Answers ]

12 weeks ago I submitted amendments to my California state tax returns, is there a way to check on the status of these returns?

When does the IRS start processing amended returns [ 1 Answers ]

When does the IRS start processing amended returns

Time limits to file motion to vacate dismissal in Massachusetts [ 3 Answers ]

Is there a time limit to file a motion to vacate dismissal in Massachusetts? I had won a civil case by way of dismissal(without prejudice) due to the plaintiffs layer not showing in court. His reason for not showing was "administrative oversight". The judgment was made on 11/6/09 and his motion was...

Amended Returns & ITINs [ 5 Answers ]

Once a social security number has been issued can amended returns be filed to replace the ITIN number filed on previous years returns? And if so can then can the EIC be claimed?

View more questions Search