Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fragrantgas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2006, 10:12 PM
    Deed in Lieu of Foreclosure Tax Assessment
    I hold a 2nd Deed of Trust against a property in California. The property owner is way behind and I've started the Notice of Default proceedings. The property owner has requested that we do a Deed in Lieu of Foreclosure and that I not report this foreclosure to the credit agencies.

Given the amount of the 1st Trust Deed, I would be interested in renting the property and keeping this property to service the 1st mortgage. However, I'm wondering if this property will be re-assessed. It's in California and has a very low property tax basis.
    vcavina Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2006, 08:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fragrantgas
    I hold a 2nd Deed of Trust against a property in California. The property owner is way behind and I've started the Notice of Default proceedings. The property owner has requested that we do a Deed in Lieu of Foreclosure and that I not report this foreclosure to the credit agencies.

Given the amount of the 1st Trust Deed, I would be interested in renting the property and keeping this property to service the 1st mortgage. However, I'm wondering if this property will be re-assessed. It's in California and has a very low property tax basis.
    Hi
    Starting from your last question, I would suggest to contact the Tax Assessor in the County in which the property is located and ask them that question in addition to finding out if there is any lien on the property. I would call the title Company too to find out if there are any other blemishes, such as liens or else on the property, order a property Profile or a Preliminary Title Report. Find out if they are current on the First Deed of Trust!

I would get a real estate attorney involved before I would do anything. A deed in lieu of foreclosure is per se OK but you need some legal advice before you go ahead. It could be simple and crystal clear but it could also hide some pitfalls. Do your homework.

Find out about the occupants if they are different then the present owners/trustors(the people who signed the note and deed of trust).

Get also a hold of a Realtor to help you out in the area were the subject property is located if all of the above seems overwhelming. Definitely Get some legal advice on the subject, protect your assets! Vcavina
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 25, 2006, 01:38 PM
    I will agree with all of the above, you will need to find the status of the first mortgage, are they 4 months behind there?

Next can it be assumed ? Or once the property transfers will that mortgage become due in full ? ( these can all be terms)

Next what you also have to understand if they were living in the home, they may have had a homestead exemption on their property tax, and as a rental property that would not apply. So at least that part of the tax would change.

And beyond just calling the title company you need to have a new title search done. But if you want the property, this is a good way to take it over if all the other "ducks" are in a row.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax Deed Sale Title Question... Marketable title? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello all, I was wondering if anybody was familiar with titles from tax deed sales. I am a beginner to the topic, but just was looking for some advice from some of you real-estate savvy experts out there. My question is about the title of a deed bought from a tax sale... How do you find out...

Lieu [ 4 Answers ]

What is the Meaning of = In lieu of.= where this phrase & how is used. Lieu is English word or German word. Why the meaning of LIEU is not available with MS WORD Pl enlighten Regards Bramha

Stock in lieu of salary [ 10 Answers ]

My employer, a small startup, is $100K behind in paying my salary. The company has offered me 200K shares of company stock in lieu of back salary, which I've agreed in principle to accept. From a tax perspective, what's the best way to structure the deal? Stock options? A stock grant? ...

View more questions Search