Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shawnshawn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2010, 05:52 PM
    1099a, 1099c and Ch7 Bankruptcy - Taxable Income?
    I have been readying this site and seen very similar questions, but just wanted to be sure that the following is true:

If I have a real estate mortgage included a ch7 bankruptcy (primary resident or rental property) and was fully discharged and I get a 1099a, I DO NOT need to file or do anything with the 1099a regardless of box number 5 and values in boxes 2 and 4.

How about 1099c if debt was included and discharged as part of the ch7 bankruptcy (for credit cards or mortgages)? Is that also for information only? Any taxable income?

And basically, are there any taxable income from debt included and discharged as part of a ch7?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 7, 2010, 11:52 AM
    It is my belief that any debt discharged under a bankruptcy is NOT taxable income, but I am not sure.

This is REALLY a legal question best posted to the LAW Forum.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxable and non-taxable income in 2008 [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have already asked this question, but I made a mistake, So here it is as it supposed to be: Briefly my situation: I and my wife came to the USA in September, 2006. I have J1 visa- scholar (from the very beginning) and my wife J2, we are citizens of Poland. We have never left the USA...

1099A; Do I file the amount as income [ 2 Answers ]

Received a1099A form and called the bank. The person I spoke with stated that the amount would not be reported as income but could not advise me on how to file it. Please help.

On NJ Tax form, for income taxed by NY, do I use the NY AGI or NY Taxable Income amt? [ 1 Answers ]

When filling out the NJ Income Tax form, I have to identify the amount of income taxed by NY State. Do I use the Adjusted Gross Income value (NY form IT-203) line 31, or the NY Taxable Income value from line 37?

Will I get a 1099A, 1099C or neither? [ 1 Answers ]

In 2007, I voluntarily surrendered a mobile home back to my lender. They sold the mobile home and have sent me a letter stating the amount that I am still liable for. So far all I have received is a 1098 for the interest paid on the account in 2007. My question is should I be expecting one of...

View more questions Search