Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    at09 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2010, 09:20 AM
    Moving Expenses - how many days of lodging and car rental can I deduct?
    My husband and I (both US citizens) moved to the UK in Aug 2009 so that he could take a job.

When we moved out of our old house, we stayed in a US hotel for 9 days before our flight to the UK.

When we arrived in the UK, we stayed in a UK hotel for 2 weeks while looking for an apartment.

We also rented a car for 2 weeks in the UK until we were able to purchase our own.

I have a few questions related to Form 3903, Moving Expenses:

1. Is our 9-day US hotel stay deductible?

2. Is our 2-week UK hotel stay deductible?

3. Is our 2-week car rental deductible?

4. Are the fees we paid for our visas deductible?

We were NOT reimbursed for any of these expenses by my husband's employer.

If anyone could provide some guidance, I'd be so grateful! Thanks!
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 18, 2010, 05:45 AM

1. No.
    2. No
    3. No
    4. No
    at09 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2010, 05:23 PM

Thanks for your response, MukatA!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moving Expenses of Car trasportation [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, Can I include the expense of transporting my Car from MA to WA and WA to CT in the Form 3903? I have the following expense for example : Car transport Transport cost from MA to WA : 1275 Transport cost from WA to CT : 1100 Flight Expense MA to WA : 100

Where would I deduct expenses for a sitter for my mother? [ 1 Answers ]

I paid a lady to sit with my mother who can not care for herself. I filed a 1099 Misc for $1070.00 and gave the sitter her copy. My question is, can I claim this on my taxes anywhere? Perhaps Schedule A? Thanks for your help.

What expenses can I deduct on my Aruban home? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a US citizen and I own a home in Aruba. Can I deduct any expenses on my tax return other than my real estate taxes? For example, I need to put a new roof on my home because of water damage and it is not covered by my homeowner's insurance here in Aruba. Is that expense deductible? Are there...

Can rental car expenses be reimbursed after 4 years? [ 2 Answers ]

In 2003, my husband was driving home with our children when he was involved in an accident. Our car was hit in the side by a driver that went through a stop sign while attempting to cross the 2 lane street. My husband had no controls on his street (no stop sign, no light). We only had one car at...

View more questions Search