Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sharmajisharma Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2010, 05:30 AM
    Green card hold tax paid in foreign country what status for paying tax in atlanta
    Hi,I have been having green card for the last 24year,since 2001 I have working outside usa with a charitable hospital as a consultant but visiting my wife and kids after every five months who live in atlanta and are us citizen.I have been filing my taxes since I arrived in usa in 1985.I have been filing my taxes under foreign exclusion under resident of usa. My property is in atlanta where my wife is residing.I have everything in usa including my wife,kids,car accept I am doing work outside usa I have been paying taxes for the house and have been contributing to social security as well for 14 years.I have been staying in usa less than 30days over two visit per year.that is why I have been filing form 1040 under foreign exclusion income as suggested to me.. but in 2009 I stayed over 30days in usa.as per my knowledge I am not eligible for the foreign exclusion now.pl inform me do I entitle for the taxes to be deducted on my income which I have paid in kenya and on commission earned in hong kong, for the taxes I am supposed to pay this year in usa.
    Gd day
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 9, 2010, 12:46 AM

Even if you stay for over 30 days in the U.S. you are eligible for foreign income exclusion. What you are talking about is Physical Presence Test on Form 2555. After staying in the foreign country since 2001 you certainly meet Bona Fide Residence Test.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Atlanta TAX Expert Dual Status questions [ 2 Answers ]

Hi ATE, I am a dual status person for US tax return. I was a resident at the start of the year 2008. The left the country in the last week of June 2008 to Canada and therefore I am a non-resident for part of the year. In my situation, according to the IRS, I need to file form 1040NR as a ...

To atlanta tax expert or any anyone: dual status or resident [ 8 Answers ]

I was in the US on a student visa from 2001-2007. I spent 4 months in 2007 and my immigration petition is pending. Must I file as dual status or resident? In 2006, I filed as a resident alien (sixth year)

Form 1116, foreign tax credit: Tax paid vs tax accrued, exchange rates and dates [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm applying for foreign tax credit on taxes I've paid / accrued on interest earned in savings accounts and certificate deposits in New Zealand. For cds, the bank statements don't give precise dates for when taxes were withheld. And so I have several questions relating to form 1116, Part II: ...

Tax status of child living away in home country of resident allien [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been on H1-B status since May 2005. And My wife has been on H1-B Status since June 2005. We both on H1-B status for the complete year 2006. We are bringing our daughter to USA for the first time this end of April or First week of May on My H4 dependent VISA. Is there any IRS rule...

Tax status about child living away in home country of resident allien [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Me and My wife are from India and both of us working in USA on H1B visa status. We have a 7 year old daughter who is staying with her grand parents in India and studying There. We send money to her grand parents for all her expenses. Now we are decided to Bring our daughter this end of...

View more questions Search