Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    greenblack Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2009, 07:49 PM
    Father wants to emancipate full time college son aged 21
    My exhusband wants to emancipate our 21 year old son. He is a full time college student and still lives with me when not in school-- summers, brks, etc. I guess he wants to do this to quit paying child support. Can he do this?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2009, 07:51 PM

No he can't. If his income has changed he may be able to get the court order modified but he can't just get out of paying.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2009, 08:08 PM

In some states the child being 21 years of age would allow him to. What does the support order say about when support stops?
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2009, 08:15 PM

I thought that if the kid was in college and the court order said they have to pay college then they couldn't get out of it.
    I figured she must have a court order and referring to emanicipate as breaking away from the court order because at 21 what would he need emancipated from or for?
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2009, 07:37 AM

The father would have to petition to stop the support (not so much emancipate because he is an adult). Not all support orders have it written to pay through out all of college that's why I asked what the support order said.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 30, 2009, 01:14 PM

There is no emancipating because he is an adult. No matter what state he is in he's an adult.
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2009, 01:16 PM

I think OP means ex wants to get out of his court orders to pay and used the wrong word.
    I was trying to answer over looking the word.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Student dependent visa UK, Full time or Part time work? [ 26 Answers ]

I have student visa of UK and I study in university. My wife recently came in London. She has student dependent visa. She doesn't study. Can she work full time? How many hours she can work? Thank you

Part time or full time New York resident taxes [ 4 Answers ]

My husband in the was USARMY stationed at West Point, New York up until the end of August of 2008 therefore he was not a New York resident. We moved to Highland Falls, New York September 15,2008. Do we file a part time New York resident form? He was only a New York resident from September 15, 2008...

College aged student on break [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I know there are a lot of similar questions out there, but I wanted to ask and see what people had to say about my specific case... Me and my girlfriend started going out in the beginning of senior year of high school. We stayed together all through freshman year of college even though we...

Single father ex-felon full time student need assistance [ 2 Answers ]

Are there any scholarships or grants specifically for felons? What about part time employment to help living expenses?:confused:

Full time student with Full time housewife [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Hope someone can help. I am going to professional school. My wife and I have three children and are living completely off student loans. We had no income in 2006 that had a W2 attached to it. That is, the only income we made was off eBay and odd end jobs throughout the year. Do I need...

View more questions Search