Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jknzr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2009, 11:04 AM
    Unfair termination from employment
    I was recently terminated from a part time job from a cell phone provider for what they call a "code of business conduct" violation. What happened was I accidentally upgraded a customer that was not the authorized account holder. The whole thing began by I was dealing with a customer with whom I needed to back out of account several different times due to the customer not being able to make up their mind. I began dealing with other customers when the customer whose account is in question asked for help. I began dealing with this customer and accessed their account by skipping the verification (which you are allowed to do when not changing anything in the account)when he and his mother decided that they would like to think about things and I went back to helping other customers. I went back to dealing with the original customer who could not make up his mind and again accessed his account. Again, he was undecided and began to look at phones again. At this time the mother and son asked for help. I brought up their account, and due to the store being very busy at the time, I must have accidentally put in the previous customers information when prompted me to verify the customer. It never occurred to me to re-verify the customer because I thought that I had previously verified him. I finished upgrading the son and moved onto the next customer. To shorten this up a little, the customer declined the contract in error on the touch pad and his phone was not working which nobody new at the time. A short time later the mother and son came back and it was discovered that the contract was not accepted and it would not be able to be accepted without the account holders social security #. This is when it was discovered that I mis-verified the customer and we could not get ahold of the father (the authorized account holder) to accept the contract. The entire transaction was reversed and the customer left the store with the account restored to old and his old phone. A few weeks passed and I was called to the corporate location where my manager terminated me. The decision to terminate me came from corporate and not my manager. I was never verbal reprimanded, written up or suspended. I was terminated for this first offense. I have been employed for over three years and was never written up or verbally reprimanded for any type of violation. I never signed anything during my termination. Human resources has never contacted me. I have attempted to file a grievance with the CWA Local 1170 Union. The head of the union and I spoke one time and he requested that I send him a explanation letter as to what happened, which I did, but have not heard from him since. I have attempted to contact him via phone and e-mail several times with no replay at all. I did speak to a former co-worker who is now my union rep and he coincidentally was WRITTEN up recently for the Same thing I was terminated for. They gave him a final written warning that will be in effect for one year. He at least was able to keep his job. He has told me to keep trying to get in contact with the union head and he will see what he can do. Still nothing is happening. I have been paying union dues for 3 years and the first time I need them, I get absolutely no help. Granted this is a part time second job for me, I really relied on this job. I am also trying to contact my former manager and it seems as though he is avoiding talking to me also. There are only a couple part timers in the area and I wonder if this is just a way to get rid of them and only have full timers. Sorry the long story, but I wanted to see if I could have everyone understand the situation and see what type of feedback I receive. Thanks
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2009, 11:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jknzr View Post
    have attempted to file a grievance with the CWA Local 1170 Union. The head of the union and I spoke one time and he requested that I send him a explanation letter as to what happened, which I did, but have not heard from him since. I have attempted to contact him via phone and e-mail several times with no replay at all.
    Hello j:

I didn't read the story, because from a legal standpoint, it doesn't matter. What matters is that you are represented by a union. You pay them. They work for you. If you have to, GO to the union office, and make them do their jobs.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Termination from employment [ 1 Answers ]

I was terminated from my job as a vocational instructor for misconduct, inapporiate behavior.A student wrote a letter to the director stating that she overheard me talking about another instructor. I was called in the office a week later and terminated. I was never informed of this allegation until...

Termination of Employment by Email [ 15 Answers ]

Hello Yesterday, I received an email from my employer advising that my 'Contract of Employment' had been terminated. The payment cycle is 2 weeks in arrears and my pay for the last 2 weeks that I have worked should have been in the bank yesterday, however it wasn't. They owe me 2 weeks...

Termination of At Will Employment [ 3 Answers ]

If an at will employee is terminated by their employer for cause and investigation finds that there is no evidence to support the claim, can that employee then sue the employer for wrongful termination given that the employer could not supply evidence to show just cause?

Termination of At Will Employment [ 1 Answers ]

If an at will employee is terminated by their employer for cause and investigation finds that there is no evidence to support the claim, can that employee then sue the employer for wrongful termination given that the employer could not supply evidence to show just cause?

View more questions Search