Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    holtermom Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2009, 08:01 AM
    Paying taxes on inheritance
    About 35 years ago my husband inherited a piece of land in Montana. In 208 he sold it. Does he have to pay federal taxes anon it as income for 208. If so where is it listed on the tax forms?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 30, 2009, 08:17 AM

Assuming that this property was not your primary home...

Your husband probably has a capital gain on this property, and he reports the gain on Schedule D. His cost basis is the fair market value of the property as of the date he inherited it 35 years ago. At that time the executor of the estate of the person he inherited it from should have given your husband market value information.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Inheritance taxes [ 2 Answers ]

I received several thousand dollars worth of stock as an inheritance. I live in CA. If I sell them, what is my tax liability & how is the IRS notified that this is an inheritance?

Inheritance taxes [ 3 Answers ]

After all expenses are paid, I and my brother and sister will be dividing about 100K from our mother's estate. Are inheritance taxes paid before the division is made or by each of us after we take possession of the funds? How are the taxes figured? Thank you.

Taxes on inheritance [ 1 Answers ]

My wife's aunt recently passed away in New York State. We live in Maryland. What state and federal taxes will have to be paid on the inheritance once the estate is settled. The estate is valued at less than one million. 2 blood relative split 50%. 8 nonblood relitives split the remaining 50%. ...

PA inheritance taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I received an automobile valued at $10,000 from my stepbrother's grandmother's estate. What, if any, taxes (PA and/or Federal) do I have to pay and when would they be due?

Inheritance and taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Here in California, a house left by our mother in a Trust, is to be sold and funds split between my siblings and myself, (approx. $60K each). What are my tax ramifications? Will this be taxed at a different rate? Will it be considered earned income? As you can see, I am at a total loss of what to...

View more questions Search