Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tauruslink Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2009, 04:37 PM
    Cost Basis of Avaya Stock received from 1960's AT&T stock
    During the 2nd half of the 1960's, my parents bought AT&T stock and had all dividends reinvested. At some point, there was a spin-off and my parents received Avaya stock. Effective October 26, 2007, Avaya was acquired by Sierra Merger Corp. an entity formed by affiliates of private equity firms Silver Lake Partners and TPG. A check was received in October 2007 for $735. payment of $17.50 per share of Avaya shares owned.

I would like to receive or know where to find the listing of all the AT&T stock history, including Avaya sale and how to allocate the tax basis. I found AT&T stock history in 2005 but have not been so successful at this time.

Thank you, tauruslink
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 31, 2009, 06:27 AM

You can get AT&T stock history from the AT&T website:

AT&T Stockholder Services

You're going to have to do some digging. Recall that Avaya was spun out of Lucent, after Lucent was spun out of AT&T. Hence you will need to determine your cost basis in Lucent first, then follow through to determine the cost basis of Avaya when it was spun out of Lucent.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 31, 2009, 07:47 AM

Here's some further information. Starting with the original cost basis for T stock in 1960, here's the calculations you need to do:

For 1960 through Dec 31 1983: add reinvested dividends through December 1983 to get a total cost basis as of 12/31/83.

Jan 1 1984: AT&T spun out Baby Bells – new cost basis for T is December 1983 basis times 28.5%, and your cost basis for the baby bells that you received is 71.5% of the old T basis.

Jan 1984 through September 1996: add reinvested dividends in T stock.

9/17/96: Lucent spun from T. The LU basis = former T cost basis times 27.99%, and new T basis is 72.01% of former T basis.

October 1996 through September 2000: add reinvested dividends in LU stock.

9/30/00: Avaya spun from Lucent: AV cost basis = 5.476% of LU cost basis, and new LU basis = 94.524% of former LU basis.

October 2000 through October 2007: add reinvested dividends for AV.

This gets you your total cost basis for AV stock as of October 2007. Hope this helps!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Calculating Preferred Stock and Common Stock Dividend [ 1 Answers ]

I want help understanding calculating dividends on preferred stock, here is the question: Golf-Easy Company has 10,000 shares of 3% preferred stock of $50 par and 25,000 shares of $100 par common stock. The following amounts were distributed as dividends: Year 1 $40,000 Year 2 ...

Absorption Costing - Opening stock and closing stock query? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi guys, I have an absorption costing query on the profit statement, here are the notes: Selling price per unit = £20 Sales for year 1 = 10,000 Production = 20,000 Production Cost Per Unit = £10 YEAR ONE

Wash Sales! What to add to Cost Basis of Replacement Stock [ 3 Answers ]

So far here's what I know about wash sales. If you sell a stock at a loss and buy the same or similar stock within 30 days, its considered a wash sale. The loss you incurred from the sale gets added to the cost basis of the new replacement stock you purchased. This is easy enough if you bought...

View more questions Search