Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    OneSolution Posts: 54, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2009, 07:37 PM
    1042S - Scholarship Income Tax
    I got a scholarship which exceeded my tution bills by $809. University treated this excess as my income and tax me at 14%. Hence I was taxed $113

When I was filing 1040NR-EZ using cintax, It asks me if I had any expenses related to books? I did actually purchased books for about $ 900 but don't have reciepts as it was cash transaction?

Can I claim that expense. The reason being I don't have proof for the purchases?

Any suggestions? What else educational expense I can calim?

About myself, I came on f1 in 2006 and changed my status on H1 in Oct 2008. Hence I am a Non Reisdent alien for tax purpose

Would appreciate your feed back
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 11, 2009, 11:01 PM

If you are single, you can only file nonresident tax return.
    You purchased the books. How did you make the payments. If by check or credit card, then bank statements is proof of your expenses.
    OneSolution Posts: 54, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2009, 03:41 PM

Well it was a cash transaction... There was a 2 senior student and I paid him cash for all his books. Couple of books were for course work but major part was the book for my thesis.

Should I claim the expense?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 6, 2009, 01:07 PM
    Yes, you can claim the expenses.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to file as resident when you get 1042S [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have been in the US since mid 2007. I am on F1. For the year 2008, I got a W2 (for research assistantship) and a 1042S (for fellowship) which has federal taxes withheld. I married a resident alien in 2008 who got W2s only. What status can we file in and what forms to use? If we file as...

How to report 1042s income on 1040 [ 1 Answers ]

I have been on H1 for several years now. I got married in 2007 and my wife was on F1 before marriage. She is on H4 now. My wife had received scholarship and hence she has 1042-S from the university. We are trying to file jointly. Since I am a resident for tax purposes, I have to file 1040. ...

W2 and 1042S filling status? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, We are French citizen in the US since July 05 (married ). Both under J1 until May 07 when I switch to H1B... We received both W2 and 1042S for 2007 what should we file ? Resident or non-resident alien? On our payroll it's state Resident alien... Could we fill a 1040NR as a join return...

F1 5 years - OPT-H1, joint return but my wife has 1042S, I have 1042S from stock too! [ 2 Answers ]

Help!! My case is a little complicated. I started my F-1 from Aug, 2001. Since Oct 2005, I started to use OPT and got my H-1 at Oct 1, 2006. My wife started her F-1 from Aug 2003, and has not change since then. For 2005, I still filed non-resident alien. 1) I assume I can do joint...

Tax on income/scholarship on F1 status [ 10 Answers ]

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone can help me with what forms I need to file for my 2004 taxes. THis process has really been so overwhelming for me and I have been reading contradictory advice. Maybe someone has a similar situation to mine. Basically, I have been in F1 status since aug 99 and...

View more questions Search