Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    developergirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2009, 06:09 AM
    Spouse part year state resident, me full year
    My husband retired from the military June 1, 2008. His entire career he was a NH resident. For the 3 years we were married prior to hi retirement, we filed married filing separately because I have always been a MA resident.

He switched his residence July 2008 and we are now wondering how to handle his 6 months of income from Jan-Jun 2008. Federal return is Married Filing Jointly - can MA return be Married Filing Separately? Should it be Married Filing Jointly and we not show his 6 months of active duty pay? Or are going to take a hit from MA on that money?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 11, 2009, 06:28 AM

For all the three years you were married, you could have filed joint returns. For NH your husband was resident and will report his income. You were nonresident and did not have any NH income. Similarly, for MA report only your income as resident while your husband did not have any MA income.

For 2008, also you can file joint return. File joint returns for states also. Your husband's income will be reported to NH while your income will be reported on MA tax return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Job in NYC, part-year resident of NY & NJ. [ 1 Answers ]

I lived in NYC from Jan-July, then move to NJ. I held the same job in NYC all year. I'm doing my taxes in Turbo Tax right now and it's asking the following: "New Jersey Wages Enter the portion of the total wages received while a New Jersey resident or received from New Jersey sources. If...

Full year resident alien part year treaty [ 1 Answers ]

My country has a tax treaty with US. I came on J1 visa in September 2005 and got the benefit of the tax treaty till August 2007. And since September 2007 my taxes are being with held. I am considered as full year resident alien since Januarary 2007. Which tax form I need to fill up and where to...

Spouse outside US for part and in US for part of the year - file single or joint ? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been working in the US (RI) since Aug 2006. My wife has been living and working in India all this time. However, in Aug 2007, she came to the US (CA) on an independent work visa. For financial year 2007, would it be beneficial / correct for us to file taxes individually or jointly...

Part Year Resident [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I lived for 8 months in NYC in 2006. I have been on an exchange visa (J-1) as a trainee and received salary from NYC business. My permanent address is in Germany and I filed a 1040 NR. Can I file as a part year resident of NY/ NYC the IT-203 form? Do I have to pay city- state taxes? ...

Full-year for Federal, Part-year for State ? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an alien and comply with the qualification for full-year tax resident for Federal, but not with my state's where I should be considered as a part-year tax resident. Is it a problem if my status are different for federal and state, or does my federal status "overwrite" my state status...

View more questions Search