Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lindts Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2009, 04:43 PM
    Married filing jointly with wife as NRA and does not live with him for whole year
    My friend is a US citizen got married on Nov 2007 in his native country. His wife came to US as permanent resident in March 2009, and she might be able to get her SSN in two weeks time. What will be the effect on his 2008 Income tax return? Can he file married filing jointly or married filing separately since wife was a non-resident alien in 2008? Can she also get her stimulus payment? What other things I need to know in preparing for his 2008 income tax return?

Please help... many thanks!
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 8, 2009, 11:59 PM

Yes, he can file joint return as residents for 2008. Both must declare worldwide income for 2008. Read Your U.S. Tax Return: Filing Status for Married
    Five Rings Posts: 459, Reputation: 7

Mar 9, 2009, 10:08 AM

In 2007 your friend was considered married. Even though his wife was a nonresident alien at that time he may claim an exemption for her as long as she had no US sourced income. Go back and do a 1040X (amended return) and claim that exemption!

Same thing for 2008. Wait for the SS number to come in.

Mar 10, 2009, 03:48 PM
    Mukata, thanks so much! This information was helpful! :)

Quote Originally Posted by MukatA View Post
    Yes, he can file joint return as residents for 2008. Both must declare worldwide income for 2008. Read Your U.S. Tax Return: Filing Status for Married

Mar 10, 2009, 03:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Five Rings View Post
    In 2007 your friend was considered married. Even though his wife was a nonresident alien at that time he may claim an exemption for her as long as she had no US sourced income. Go back and do a 1040X (amended return) and claim that exemption!

Same thing for 2008. Wait for the SS number to come in.
    Thanks, Five Rings! Will do what you say! :)
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 1, 2009, 12:20 PM
    If you have not yet amended the 2007 return, your friend should file JOINTLY with his wife for 2007, as his marital status at the end of the year counts for the entire year.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I file as Married filing Jointly or Separately, if my wife has not entered US. [ 10 Answers ]

Hi David, I thought I'd post in this topic because I have a case similar to that of Balajinaik. However the website doesn't let me continue in his post, so I have to start a new Thread. I have been on an H1B visa through 2006 and will be filing as a resident alien. I got married in India in...

Wife on L1 last year, now on H4. Should I file under "Married filing Jointly" [ 1 Answers ]

Hi My wife was working in US in 2007 under L1 visa & we filed our taxes in 2007 under the category "Married filing Jointly". She left her job & is now under H4 visa all through 2008. Can we file again this year under the same category even though she is no longer having an income? She has a SSN.

I filed 2007 Tax return married filing jointly and used ITIN for my wife now got SSN [ 1 Answers ]

Hi: I filed my 2007 tax return(Married filing jointly) but I used ITIN for my wife, I heard to eligible for economic stimulas package both should have SSN, Now my wife received SSN , is there any possibility to amend my 2007 tax return with my wife SSN? Do you think that way I am eligible for...

Filing status as Married Filing Jointly or Filing Separately [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been in USA on L1 for the following time period: May 2006 to January 2007. August 2007 till Date. According to the substantial presence test, I completed my 183 days in US in November 2007. So during 2007 I was a dual status alien. My non-working spuose and year old...

Non-resident H4 - filing jointly or married filing separately, and ITIN [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I got married in the middle of last year and moved later in 2006 to the USA (h4 visa, spouse H1 visa). I do not meet the substantial presence test for 2006 (taking into account the previous two years and computing) or the green card test. As I understand, we can only file jointly if I...

View more questions Search