Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    silver_111 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2009, 09:43 PM
    How To Get Back The Amount Withheld As Taxes.
    Dear Sir,

Sub : How To Get Back The Amount Withheld As Taxes.

I am an Indian citizen. I was a Green Card holder and stayed and worked in the US from 1971 to 1983. In 1983, I took the change of residency and settled in India permanently. Presently, I am filing Indian Income Tax returns regularly.

I turned 62 in January 2008, and so I have started to receive Social Security payments in India. However, I just received a statement from the SSA administration that I was entitled to a total of $ 7,350 /- for the year 2008, and they have deducted $ 1,874/- out of that as 'Amount Withheld for Taxes'. The rest of the amount is received by me during 2008.

Would you please guide me as to how I can get this amount, ('Amount Withheld for Taxes') back? Do I need to file US Income Tax return? If yes, which form no. Can I do it while I am an Indian citizen and living in India? Is there any other way for me to get this amount back?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 23, 2009, 11:01 PM

Yes, if you have green card you must report your world wide income. You must file tax return. You also have a requirement to file Form TD F 90-22.1.
    Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Citizen or Resident with Foreign Income

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to know the correctness of tax amount withheld? [ 2 Answers ]

Lately my husband changed his job from a permanent employee to an hourly paid contractor. This month we got his first pay check and we feel that the taxes withheld are less and we are scared of its impact while filing tax return for 2008. We don't want to get alarmed by a tax bill that we need to...

Not Sure why NJ State Taxes Withheld - What to do? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a student living in State X. My summer internship was in State Y. When I received my W2, I realized my employer had withheld taxes for States X, Y, and also for NJ. I am not a resident of nor did I do any work in NJ this fiscal year. The only connection I have to NJ is that my...

Taxes not withheld [ 7 Answers ]

I work for a company that pays me by the hour and does not withhold taxes of any kind. I made $8, 500 this year. Do I have to file taxes? Can I file and get the earned income Credit due to having one son who is 14 years old?

Taxes being withheld [ 2 Answers ]

My husband gets his taxes taken due to back child support. This year we are married and filing together. Will they take everything from our taxes together towards his back child support?

View more questions Search