Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GiGiGi Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2009, 03:07 PM
    F1 Student on CPT/OPT Tax filing
    I am an alien resident now on F1 visa status. In summer of 2008, I worked as an intern in a out of state company and received about $7800 payment. I have just graduated in Dec 2008 and now on OPT status and will have internship in the same state that I previously interned.
    The internship company did not withhold any tax, and I have not filed tax for the internship income in 2008 summer yet. I plan to do so but have no idea what tax form should I use, how much I should pay and how to file tax. I would be highly appreciated if someone can help me figure this out.

My questions again:
    1) what Tax Form should I use?
    2) how much tax should I pay?
    3) what kind of tax should I pay?
    4) how can I file tax? On line or in other way?
    5) Is the tax for OPT period different from CPT period?

Thanks so much for your help!
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 17, 2009, 08:22 PM

1. If you did not complete 5 years on F1/OPT you will file non-resident tax return.
    2 & 3. If you are non-resident as pre 1. then your income is not subject to FICA or SE taxes. You will pay income taxes.
    4. File depending upon your resident status.
    6. No.
    Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Tax Filing Requirements for Non-Residents

Jan 17, 2009, 08:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MukatA View Post
    1. If you did not complete 5 years on F1/OPT you will file non-resident tax return.
    2 & 3. If you are non-resident as pre 1., then your income is not subject to FICA or SE taxes. You will pay income taxes.
    4. File depending upon your resident status.
    6. No.
    Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Tax Filing Requirements for Non-Residents
    Hey MukatA, thanks so much for your help!

However, there are some terms that I don't understand. What is "pre 1" and "FICA"?
    Also, what is the tax rate for income taxes in my situation? I am not a U.S. citizen and I have been in the U.S. for less than 2 years.
    Also, which tax form should I use? 1099? Or 1042?

Thanks a million!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 20, 2009, 08:22 AM
    Your tax rate depends on the amount of income your earned. More than likely, it will be either 10% or 15%.

You will use Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ, plus whatever state tax forms apply for your internship state.

Jan 20, 2009, 08:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    Your tax rate depends on the amount of income your earned. More than likely, it will be either 10% or 15%.

You will use Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ, plus whatever state tax forms apply for your internship state.
    Thanks for your answers:)
    My company has me as an independent contractor, not employee. If that is the case, what % do I need to pay?Appreciated!
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 20, 2009, 11:12 AM
    You are an F-1 student, so you are NOT liable for self-employment taxes.

You will need to file Form 1040NR with a Schedule C.

More than likely, you will pay between 10 - 15%.

Jan 20, 2009, 01:40 PM
    You are an F-1 student, so you are NOT liable for self-employment taxes.

You will need to file Form 1040NR with a Schedule C.

More than likely, you will pay between 10 - 15%.
    Sure, very helpful:) hahaha~~~

One more question, what or how much deduction is applicable for me then?
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 21, 2009, 10:47 AM
    Whole BOOKS have been written on the available deductions on the Schedule C. There is no way I can adequately cover it on this forum.

Read the instructions for Schedule C to get some idea what you can claim. If it seems a bit too confusing, then get professional tax help!

Jan 21, 2009, 12:36 PM
    Whole BOOKS have been written on the available deductions on the Schedule C. There is no way I can adequately cover it on this forum.

Read the instructions for Schedule C to get some idea what you can claim. If it seems a bit too confusing, then get professional tax help!
    :) No problem! Thank you so much!
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 21, 2009, 01:55 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do Student Loans come off with filing Bankruptcy? [ 4 Answers ]

I have student loans from 1990 to 1992 and they have tried to garnish my wages when I worked at my last job. I ended up quiting the job before this happened and remember that they wanted to take a lot of money each month... around $300. When I only make $2400 a month. My father suggested I...

Tax Filing for international student with F1 visa [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been in US since 2005 sept and this year(2007) was the first time I tried to file taxes. I used the 1040 EZ form to files taxes and today I got the stimulus package. From my frens, I realized that I was supposed to file 1040 NR EZ and was not eligible for the stimulus package. I am...

Filing 1040EZ as a F1- Student [ 2 Answers ]

I am a PhD Student on F-1 visa since 2002 August. I have been filing 1040NR EZ until this year. But this year since I have completed 5 years, I understand that I have to file 1040EZ. I have completed the form but last minute nagging doubts persist. I will appreciate it if you can help. I have two...

Student filing for 2006 [ 1 Answers ]

I am a full time student and this is the first year that I do not work. I need to show my 2006 taxes in order to receive financial aid. I live with my boyfriend and I am not been claimed as a dependent by anyone. My question is if I have 0 income do I need to file 1040EZ and NYS IT201 Thanks ...

Independent student filing fafsa.. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am filing the fafsa and css profile for financial aid at the turn of the year as an independent student because I provide for more than half of my child's support. I have never filed any tax forms though and am completely lost on the subject. I know(I think I know?) I don't need to file...

View more questions Search