Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    w14 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2008, 02:51 PM
    Itemized deductions Vs. Std. deductions
    Hi Tax Experts,

Can some one please explain the difference between itemized deductions Vs. Std. deductions and how this will affect the returns when you are in OPT

Please Advice.
    codyman144 Posts: 544, Reputation: 31

Dec 19, 2008, 04:42 PM

The Std deduction you get simply for being you - it is the same for everyone depending on Status (Single, Married-filing Joint etc.)

To itemize your deductions you need to have more Line items on the Sch A then the Std deduction. Certain expenses can be itemized and deducted from your taxable income.

Go to IRS.GOV and look at the instructions to form 1040
    plonak Posts: 742, Reputation: 117

Dec 19, 2008, 04:59 PM

Itemized deductions are bacially your home mortgage interest paid, your property taxes, also some heatlh expenses/unreinbursed work expenses.

Which ever number is greater, that it what you can use. If you don't own a home, you're more than likely going to use the standard deduction.

Itemized deductions get tricky when you start getting in AMT. That tax mostly hits middle income families..
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2008, 07:10 PM

What you can do for fun is go online at say TurboTax and enter your information both ways - with the standard deduction and the itemized deductions and see which way would yield you the greater return. It does not cost anything to go online with this service but it only costs when you actually use the service to file your taxes. Try it. I'll bet you probably will take home more from a standard deduction in the end unless you have loads of legit expenses to claim. You also have to be super careful just what you take as a deduction as the IRS likes to audit those individuals who do the itemized returns and you could get dinged. The only time I itemized my deductions I got dinged by them and I had a CPA prepare my taxes that year!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 23, 2008, 05:21 AM
    The SINGLE standard deduction for 2008 is $5,450, and for a married couple, it is $10,900, so unless your itemized deductions are GREATER than those figures, you will likely use the standard deduction.

As a general rule, you must own a home on which you are paying a mortgage to make itemizing worthwhile.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Dec 23, 2008, 01:11 PM

If you are a nonresident alien, you cannot claim the standard deduction.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 24, 2008, 12:30 PM
    What IntlTax says is true for all non-resident aliens except Indian citizens on a F-1 or J-1 visa. Indian citizens on a F-1 or J-1 visa may claim the single standard deduction when they file Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Dec 24, 2008, 12:49 PM

Good point about the Indian citizens.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

On OPT should I use itemized deductions or std. Deductions [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I am currently on F1 visa( 2003-today) more than 5 years ( Tax Resident) Will transfer to OPT Since JAN 2009, 1) When filling taxes should I use itemized deductions or Std. deductions 2) Do I pay for Social and Medicare taxes 3) Will I qualify for $ 5000 std. deductions

Maximizing itemized deductions [ 1 Answers ]

Here is my question. During the last semester at school, I got into CPT(F1 visa) from(june- dec 2006),working 40 hrs a week and enrolled in one course to finish my master's at my school. Can I claim the tution on the itemized deductions on 1040NR? I also had to relocate to 150 miles away...

Maximizing itemized deductions [ 1 Answers ]

Good work Mr.Atlantataxexpert!! Here is my question. During the last semester at school, I got into CPT(F1 visa) from(june- dec 2006),working 40 hrs a week and enrolled in one course to finish my master's at my school. Can I claim the tution on the itemized deductions on 1040NR? I also...

Itemized tax deductions in OPT? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My status for 2005 was: Jan 2005 - Sep 2005 = OPT (F-1 status) Oct 2005 - Dec 2005 = H1B Now my question is: 1) Is there any itemized deductions I can put for my OPT period? Like - books, donations(made in India), travel, rent, food, etc. And if "NOT" then is there any other...

Itemized deductions on J-1 visa [ 11 Answers ]

I participated as a student exchange visitor in Work&Travel Program. I was on a J-1 visa during 2004. I am not a student working on a degree. My taxable income consist only W-2 forms. All of the income which I had generated is from personal services? Can I deduct travel expences "away from...

View more questions Search