Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    argo644 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2008, 02:25 PM
    New York city resident tax
    I have a house and live in Long Island. Also I rent an apartment in New York City where my children live.

I pay for the apartment rent and utilities with my checks, and children give me money back.

Now I have an audit, and auditor says that if I maintain apartment in the city I am a NYC resident and should pay NYC resident tax.

Any comments about this would be greatly appreciated.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 15, 2008, 11:12 AM
    Unfortunately, that IS what the NY tax law says, and, given the fact that the rent and utilities are being paid by your check, it seems pretty clear that you have in fact maintained an apartment in NY City.

Unless you can clearly show that the apartment in, in fact, in your children's name, you will have a REAL difficult time proving to the auditor's satisfaction that you are not a NYC resident.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New York City Resident tax [ 1 Answers ]

I employ a person that lives in New Jersey and will work on a construction project located in Queens, NY. Do I deduct New York City Resident tax as part of his witholding taxes?

Am I subject to New York City Resident Tax if on OPT? [ 1 Answers ]

I am working in New York city but living in New Jersey. I am currently on OPT. So am I subject to the NYC Resident tax? Thanks a lot for answering!

Full or part time resident of New York City? [ 2 Answers ]

I have maintained (and continue to maintain) my permanent residence in New Jersey for the last twenty years. I rented an apartment in New York City in April 2006. I work the great majority of my time in NYC. I stayed over night in New York City approximately 90 times in 2006. Am I a resident...

New York City Income Tax [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter is a resident of and attends college in Wisconsin. During the summer she had a paid internship in New York City. I believe she is considered a non-resident for NT state income tax purposes. But what about for the New York City income tax? She subleased an apartment on Avenue A for three...

Am I A Part-Time New York City Resident? [ 9 Answers ]

My husband and I own a house outside of New York City (in NY State) and are contemplating purchasing an apartment in Manhattan to make our commute easier. We would live in it 3-4 days/week and spend the rest of the time at our country house. We both work in Manhattan. Our primary residence is...

View more questions Search