Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    toasted Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2008, 11:50 AM
    Inheritance from Foreign Country
    I am inheriting $400,000 from a foreign country (France). Are there tax consequences in the US when I transfer the money? What are the legal requirements for me?
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Nov 29, 2008, 12:06 PM

Thanks to our Tax Expert, Mukat... here's the info from his blog.
    Your U.S. Tax Return: Tax on Inheritances

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Inheritance from relative in another country [ 11 Answers ]

Good day to all - I have been informed that I may be receiving a very large inheritance from another country. I am trying to find out if I will have to pay taxes on this amount and/or any other fees. It would be deposited directly into my bank account here and is WELL over 10,000 - which I...

Taxes on inheritance or gift originating from a foreign country? [ 6 Answers ]

Would I have to pay taxes on gifts or inheritance that I may receive from a family member in a foreign country? Amount may be in seven figures. If so, anyone know if there are any loopholes that I may be able to take advantage of? And how much in taxes do I have to pay? Any response would be...

Inheritance out of the country [ 1 Answers ]

Inheritance out of the country, how could I have proved here in my country the "WILL and Probate documents of my father-in-law, whom resided out of the country for verification? I do realize this is somewhat a international matter now. Do you have any answer?

L1 - Foreign Tax Credit - Secondment Model. [ 1 Answers ]

I was in the USA from Jan-08 to Oct-08 on a L1 visa.I was being paid both US allowances and indian Salary in the USA. While in US I was paying taxes for both the US and indian components. When I return to India I also pay tax for the indian component of the salary I received while in US. Is...

Inheritance From Foreign Country [ 1 Answers ]

Long, lost family member died in 2002 in Malaysia. I am sole surviving heir. After paying for services rendered in Malaysia for transferring the estate to me, my net gain expected to be $1.4MM. Since only $1MM is excluded from inheritance or income taxes on deaths occurring in 2002, what...

View more questions Search