Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Budster43 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2008, 06:21 AM
    Capital loss carryover provisions
    Is applying a capital loss carryover to a current years capital gain optional?

Deails:
    I have a capital loss carryover of say $5000.
    In 2007 I have a capital gain of $2000.
    I know I could offset that gain with some of my capital loss carryover.
    BUT... suppose I am already paying zero in tax and I don't need to reduce the current capital gain amount.
    Can I retain the whole $5000 capital loss carryover to future years?

Thanks in advance... Budster43
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 24, 2008, 08:39 AM
    Sorry, you MUST offset the $2,000 with the $5,000 carryover, reducing the carryover to $3,000, which is then applied to "other income" if you have any income.

If there is no other income, then the $3,000 loss gets carried over to future years.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Setting off Capital Loss by LLP [ 3 Answers ]

Dear All - I am planning to set up an LLP in the US wherein our main business would be stock trading. I would like to know the tax treatment of the capital losses in the hands of LLP and the members of LLP? Thanks in Advance.

Stock Options capital loss [ 2 Answers ]

This year, I suffered huge loss in trading options. As you know, call and put stock options are based on stock and trade like stocks, but are not exactly stock. Not sure if I should be able to show these losses as capital loss in schedule D. Beauty is my online broker will NOT report these in my...

1040NR capital gains/loss [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I need to figure out whether to report my capital loss from stocks in the US, using the schedule D or page 4 of 1040NR (line 84). I am now on H1B and was on F1 visa until Aug 2007. I am a Non-resident for tax purposes. I was present in the US in 2007 for 223 days on F1, and 92 days on...

Capital Gain/loss in joint account - filing separately [ 1 Answers ]

When filing separately, who must claim capital gain/loss for a joint account

Capital Loss on Inherited Home Sale [ 0 Answers ]

I inherited my mother's home in June 2006 selling it in Mar 2008 at an approximately $85,000 loss. I called the IRS and was told the entire loss is fully deductible and not subject to the $3,000 normal limit. I'd appreciate knowing what IRS Topic or Publication would clarify this issue? Thanks

View more questions Search