Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kgkris Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2006, 12:34 AM
    Substantial Presence Test
    Dear Atlanta Tax Expert,

I've been browsing through this forum and have found your responses quite informative. Considering April 17th is the deadline I have a question at the 11th hour. :o

I came to US on H1B in Oct 10th 2004, for the first time. I was here till Jan 10th 2005, when I went to India (I am an Indian citizen). I came back to the US (to the same city) in April 05th 2005 and am here ever since.

I have always been on H1-B Visa.

According to the substantial presence test:

Number of Days in 2005: 281 (viz. > 31 days)
    1/3rd of Days in 2004: 27.3 (82/3)
    1/6th of Days in 2003: 0 (0/6)

Sums up to : ~308 days (viz. > 183 days)

And more over ,2005 was not my first year in US.

So, my question would be, do I qualify the Substantial Presence Test?
    If so, I assume I don't need to write DUAL-STATUS RETURN in the 1040 form?
    And I am eligible for standard deduction instead of the itemized deduction?

Please let me know if my understanding is correct. A quick response would be extremely helpful.

TIA
    kgkris
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 17, 2006, 09:29 AM
    No, you do not meet the Substantial Presence Test; if you file immediately, you must file as a non-resident alien (Form 1040NR) and NOT get the standard deduction.

You CAN wait until June 2006 to file as a resident alien under the First Year Choice. You should mail an extension request (Form 4868) and mail a check if you determine that you owe taxes. If you have a refund coming, no check is needed. Mail the extension TODAY!

Apr 17, 2006, 10:08 AM
    Thanks for the reply.
    Is it OK for me to file the 1040 (DUAL-STATUS RETURN) if I file today?

Also, could you please explain which part of the substantial did I fail? (was the fact that I was not here in 2003?)

Apr 17, 2006, 10:35 AM
    I also had another question regarding Form 4868.
    It talks about figuring out my total tax liability and amount paid for Federal Returns (for which I have a refund).
    When I file an extension, is applicable for both Federal and State taxes?

I owe the state of Illinois as well. How do I pay that (and subsequenly mention it in Form 4868)?

Thanks
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 17, 2006, 06:40 PM
    You will need to access the Illinois website to see what extension they use. They may accept the Form 4868.

If you are getting a refund, then just file the Form 4868 by itself.

In my opinion, dual-status filing is not an option in your case. Besides, it is a complicated return which will deny you your $5,000 standard deduction.
    taxsearcher Posts: 222, Reputation: 8

Apr 18, 2006, 05:26 AM
    ATE, I'm not sure I agree with you. Why are you suggesting that he/she does not meet the substantial presence test? The days in 2005 clearly exceed 183.
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 18, 2006, 10:00 AM
    Taxsearcher:

You are correct. I have been dealing with non-resident aliens on F-1 status that it seems to be imprinted on my eyeballs.

Kgkris:

You do meet Substantial Presence. File Form 1040.

Apr 24, 2006, 02:22 PM
    Thanks for all your responses. I have filed for an extension till Oct. I believe I will file for 1040 in the mean while.
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 24, 2006, 08:21 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1 to H1 passing substantial pres. Test plus married [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Thanks for providing insightful information at the site. Though, I am not sure about my exact situation. Here it goes: I was on F1 until May 2005 in Massachusetts and then moved to California for work on H1B (thus passing the subs. Presence test). Besides, I got married in Dec 2005 in US to...

1040NR-EZ substantial Presence Test [ 3 Answers ]

Dear Atlanta Tax Expert, I am F1-OPT-H1 and F1 Status in the Entire 2005.I am wondering what exactly sustantial Test means, I went through IRS website and according to the Instructions this is how I have to do the Test for myself. I was physically present in the United States on...

Substantial presence test [ 1 Answers ]

Thank you Atlanta Tax Expert for answering my question regarding OPT/H1. Since I have been on my H1 only for 92 days , do I still meet the substantial presence test ? I was looking at a Tax software that prepares 1040 NR EZ and the Form 8843for international students. I took a test where I...

Dual status/ Substantial presence test [ 1 Answers ]

I was working on my OPT since May to September 30, 2005 .My H1 started on October 1st, 2005. I am from India. As long as I was on OPT my employer did not deduct the social security and medicare taxes. From October 1st, 2005 , I have been paying these taxes. Should I file my taxes as a dual...

OPT -H1 substantial presence test [ 1 Answers ]

I got my H1 on the 7th of aug, before which I was on OPT . Would I qualify for substantial presence test 183 days after the 7th of August to claim $ 5000 as being on f1 I won't be able to claim the same, if I'm right. Or is it 183 days during a particular calendar yr? Since I am an indian can I...

View more questions Search