Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    darkrose00 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2006, 08:25 AM
    New York & New Jersey Taxes
    I disparately need help w/ taxes this year!

I just bought a house in New Jersey and have been living there since October of '05. Before that I have been renting in Queens NY.
    I work in NY as well.
    I am trying to avoid filling out dual state tax forms...
    What forms do I need to fill out?
    Do I have to do NY State AND NY City?
    What about NJ, can I avoid paying for that for 2005 since I didn't make a first mortgage payment until December?
    It's so confusing.. all these stupid forms.
    Please help!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 20, 2006, 10:31 AM
    DarkRose:

Yes, you have to file tax returns for both NJ and NY. You will pay the NY taxes, but NJ will give you a dollar-for-dollar credit for those NY taxes.

The result is that you should owe ZERO NJ taxes (in fact, you should get a small refund from NJ).

If you find it all too much to deal with, contact me at [email protected] and we can discuss you having me doing the returns for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Living in New jersey and working in New York [ 5 Answers ]

For some time now I've been thinking of making a career move. I live in New Jersey, I am looking to work in New York City and would like to know how would filing taxes affect my weekly pay. For instance would both NJ and NY tax me. How does this work?

Taxes: Living in New York City but working in New Jersey [ 7 Answers ]

I live in New York City but work in New Jersey. I'm married no children. I'd like to find out about what are my taxes for New York City and New York State? Also, any advise for me for the next tax year on what to withhold from my employer? Thank you.

New jersey tenant [ 3 Answers ]

I moved into a 2 bedroom apt that already had 1 tenant living there. We never signed a lease but paid the rent 50/50 each month by sending in separate checks. She moved out and did not find a replacement roommate and now the landlord is saying that I owe the last two months FULL rent (I was...

Lives in New York works in New Jersey [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Can someone help me with a tax question ? Here goes: I work in NJ but lives in NY. MyFederal wages and NY wages are the same... lets say $57,440.45. My NJ wages is higher than both... let's say $$58,536.35 On the NJ1040NR, what wages goes under the column "Gross income from...

Living in New York and working in New Jersey [ 1 Answers ]

My husband will be working in New Jersey this summer but we live in manhattan. How should he handle the withheld taxes from his weekly paycheck and how does that influence his annual salary? If it is possible to give me an estimated percentage that we can anticipate as a weekly deduction, I would...

View more questions Search