Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    massachusetts Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2008, 07:44 PM
    Not withheld medicare and social security taxes- who is responsible?
    Hi
    I got a letter today from my employer (supposedly an investment firm!! ) stating that they had neglected to withhold social security and medicare tax starting from 2005 till end of 2007. They are now asking me to pay them back a considerable amount of money.

This is my first job, so I didn't really know about different types of taxes . I am on H1-B (started as OPT).

My question is: who is responsible to pay all these taxes - who owes the taxes to IRS at this point? Can a company ask for such a large amount of money due to its own negligence?

I am not an independent contractor. I am a full time employee from the beginning. I have always received W2.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 9, 2008, 03:45 AM
    It appears that you were employed as independent contractor. You must have received 1099-Misc instead of W2.
    Your 1099-Misc income during OPT period is exempt from SE taxes. But you must pay SE taxes on 1099-Misc income during H1-B.

How you will treat the 1099-Misc income, read: Your U.S. Tax Return: W2 or 1099: Employee or Independent Contractor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H1-B Social Security and Medicare Taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have been working with a company in South Carolina since Nov, 2006 and started on a student work permit visa (F1-OPT). I then had my visa transferred to a H1-B starting on Oct 1, 2007. But my employer was not aware that social security and medicare taxes were to be deducted from...

Social Security & Medicare Taxwes Wrongly Withheld [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a citizen of INDIA and I came to US in Aug '03 as a student with a F1 visa. I graduated in Dec '05 and had my OPT started from Jan '06. I got my job in March '06 and I converted my visa from F1 to H1 in Oct '06. So, I am assuming that I still fall under the radar of being exempt...

Social Security & Medicare Taxes Withheld Wrongly [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question about getting the refund for Soc Sec & Medicare Taxes which was wrongly withheld. I joined my company in Apr 2006 when I was in OPT and I converted my F1 to H1 in Oct 2006. My company or myself wasn't aware that employees who were in OPT were exempt from paying these two...

Social security and Medicare taxes. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All... Until 2006 Dec I was a Full time student and my employer deducted social security and medicare taxes while I was working as an intern. Is there any way that I can get back that tax amount? Thanks Mahi vanka.

Social Security and Medicare not withheld [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am working on H1B from Jan 03, 2006. I was earlier on F-1 CPT (till Jan 02, 2006) with the same employer. However, for the year 2006, social security and medicare taxes were not with held from my paycheck. My W2 colums in those to categories are blank. Please advice on a way to go forward......

View more questions Search