Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SarhoshAmiral Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2006, 10:10 AM
    5 years of presence in US with F-1
    I am a bit confused about the 5 year rule, here is my situation:

2000 - I had a F-1 visa and I was in US for 21 days. This is the only time I used that F-1 visa
    2001 - I got another F-1 visa for a different university and I stayed in US for 120 days.
    2002 - 250 days with the F-1 visa from 2001
    2003 - 250 days with the F-1 visa from 2001
    2004 - 250 days with the F-1 visa from 2001
    2005 - 130 days with the F-1 visa from 2001, and I got my H1-B approval on September 9th, 2005 (but I don't have a H-1 visa yet)

If I exclude F-1's, I don't meed the substial presence test so I was planning to fill as NonResident (I didn't want to use First Year option)

But since I was in US for 5 years (2000 - 2004), do I count the number of days on F-1 visa in 2005 for presence test as well?

Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 7, 2006, 10:21 AM
    Yes. The exemption from the Substantial Presence Test that the F-1 visa afforded expired at the end of 2004.

You should file as a resident alien for 2005.
    SarhoshAmiral Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2006, 10:25 AM
    Thanks!

Just to be sure again, it doesn't matter if I had two different F-1 visas during those 5 years right? (one I used only for 3 weeks and the other since 2001 summer) and if I am filling as resident alien, do I have to fill any other form or just 1040-EZ?

Also what would have happened if the first visa was B (tourist visa) instead of F-1? My fiancé is in this situation now.

Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 7, 2006, 11:19 AM
    Even if you were in country under an F-1 visa for only one day, that time "burns" that one year of the five-year exemption.

The tourist visa does not start the clock on the F-1 exemption. If she had a tourist visa, then returned under a F-1 visa, the clock starts when she arrived in country on the F-1 visa.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Improve presence of mind [ 10 Answers ]

Dear Sir, I want to improve my presence of mind or quickwittedness.Most of the times I don't find the reply instantly of any general talk and I have to stood silent and after sometime I realize that could be one of the answers.Is my mind blunt?

Substantial Presence Test [ 8 Answers ]

Dear Atlanta Tax Expert, I've been browsing through this forum and have found your responses quite informative. Considering April 17th is the deadline I have a question at the 11th hour. :o I came to US on H1B in Oct 10th 2004, for the first time. I was here till Jan 10th 2005, when I went...

Substantial presence test [ 1 Answers ]

Thank you Atlanta Tax Expert for answering my question regarding OPT/H1. Since I have been on my H1 only for 92 days , do I still meet the substantial presence test ? I was looking at a Tax software that prepares 1040 NR EZ and the Form 8843for international students. I took a test where I...

OPT -H1 substantial presence test [ 1 Answers ]

I got my H1 on the 7th of aug, before which I was on OPT . Would I qualify for substantial presence test 183 days after the 7th of August to claim $ 5000 as being on f1 I won't be able to claim the same, if I'm right. Or is it 183 days during a particular calendar yr? Since I am an indian can I...

Lab pup going nuts in presence of strangers [ 5 Answers ]

Any suggestions for controlling a 7 month old lab who jumps onto new people. He is very obiedient when he is with the family but when new people come over or when meeting new people and dogs on walks he will get very excited and jump all over the person no matter how much I say "no", "off", or...

View more questions Search