Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    L1 Tax Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2008, 07:05 AM
    L1 Tax Residency 2007
    Hi. H&R Block have prepared our tax return for 2007 but believe we should file as married filing separatly as we are non-residents because we are on an L Visa - My husband is on an L1 and I am on L2.
    We entered the country on 18th Sept 2006 and left on 4th Jan 2007. We both worked for the full 2007 tax year in the US.
    Please can you advise how we should file? Thanks!
    The Texas Tax Expert Posts: 310, Reputation: 7

Mar 24, 2008, 07:28 AM
    I assume you meant that you left on Jan 4, 2008 (not 2007).

For 2006 you should have filed as non-residents (and you cannot file a joint return).

For 2007, you should have filed as residents and filed a 1040 (you can file a joint return for that year).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dual residency and tax filing [ 2 Answers ]

I have a close friend who lives full time in NJ and for the purposes of his divorce and his tax returns, claims NJ residency. He also works in NJ. However, he has a Pennsylvania driver's license, car registration and insurance - he uses an empty house that belongs to his dad for an address in...

H4 To F1 - Tax Residency Status [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I was under H4 from 1999 to early 2007. In Mid 2007, I switched to F1. I received a Tax ID number while I was under H4. Now, my question is am I considered a resident for tax purposes for the year 2007? What about next year? My current status is F1. Thanks

Residency for NC state income tax [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased a house in North Carolina (NC) in June 2006 while living in Florida (FL) in a house I owned. Foreseeing that I would be moving in a couple of weeks, I changed my drivers license to NC in July because I had moved my auto insurance to NC when I bought the house (package deal on...

Permanent residency application and tax deduction [ 3 Answers ]

I have recently had an attorney assist in my application for permanent residency in US. Since this will replace my current work TN VISA (temporary VISA), is the attorney fee a deductable expense on my tax?

Using my rental investment in FL as primary residency for tax purposes [ 1 Answers ]

This might be complex -- but here we go: I am looking at purchasing oceanfront property in FL and I am wondering if I can use FL's no income tax laws to my advantage. I own a home in NC and work in sales for a company based in NC. Here are a few of my questions: 1. Can I choose to list FL as...

View more questions Search