Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Van_Su Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2006, 03:23 PM
    OPT to H1 tax filing with dependent
    Hi,

I am an Indian who came to US in Jan 2002 and started my OPT on 1/2/2005 and shifted to H1 starting 1/1/2006. I have a dependent (wife, ITIN issued, no SSN) and have been claiming the standard deduction + 2 * personal exemption for the past three years using the 1040 NR, MFS as she has no income.

I have checked previous questions and have seen dual status cases, but since my OPT was strictly in the year 2005 and my H1 did not start until 2006 can I still file 1040NR as usual or is there any better way to get a higher exemption. I have paid some course fees for purpose of graduation and may receive a 1099T, but I am not sure.
    Please suggest what form I should file 1040NR or 1040A? Can I still take the standard deduction?

Thank you in advance for the help.

Regards

Su
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 5, 2006, 08:45 AM
    Su:

For 2005, you are still considered a non-resident alien and should file Form 1040NR. You can still claim the standard deduction of $5,000.

The dual status alien procedure is time-consuming, inefficient and does not apply in your case.

Unfortunately, you do not qualify for the education credit for 2005. You will qualify in 2006 when you file the normal (Form 1040/1040A) tax return as a resident alien.
    Van_Su Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2006, 08:50 AM
    Thank you
    Dear Atlanta Tax Expert,

Thank you for the clarification and your valuable time. I am happy to find a forum where one can get queries answered by experts in no time.

Thanks again.

Su
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 5, 2006, 09:02 AM
    That's what we are here for!
    taxhelp2007 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2007, 01:22 AM
    Hi,

I had a similar question and was hoping to find the right forms to fill out.

I came to US in August 2000 as an F-1 student for my undergraduate degree. I graduated in August 2005 and was on on OPT till July 2006. I switched to H1B on October 1st 2006. In the past I have filed the 1040NR-EZ.

My question is would that change for 2006 since I was on H-1B from October? Would I be regarded as a Resident for tax purposes and hence would need to file the 1040?

Thanks for the help,

SL
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 5, 2007, 01:13 PM
    In 2005, you should have filed as a resident alien, as your F-1 exemption expired on 31 Dec 2004.

File as a resident alien in 2006, and amend you 2005 tax return.
    rat_kr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2009, 08:05 PM
    Hello ATE,

I am an Indian student graduated in Dec 2009. Will be on OPT from January 2010 and working for the US Dept of Defense (did my internship there and am continuing). I receive stipends through George Washington University and it is tax-free. I deposit the check and withdraw money. I will not be issued a W2 by US DoD or George Washington university.

1. How do I file tax?
    2. Which forms do I use?
    3. I will not be deducted Social Security tax or medicare. I was told that I need not file for that.

Thanks
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 15, 2009, 11:53 AM
    If you have NO taxable income, then NO tax return is required; hence, no tax forms are required.

However, you DO need to file Form 8843 to validate your student visa status.

As a student, you ARE exempt from FICA (Social Security and Medicare) taxes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dependent exemption for H1-b's [ 5 Answers ]

Hi , I am new to this site but just going through the threads, I think it's a great forum! Well here's my question (or questions rather!! ) I was on an F-1 student on OPT and worked full time from March 2005 onwards. I changed to H1B status on Oct 1, 2005. Should I file 1040 or 1040NR? ...

F1 student on OPT with dependent [ 3 Answers ]

HI, I am an Indian student who was on OPT for whole of 2005. I am married but have not claimed my spouse as dependent till now. When I file my returns this year, can I claim her as a dependent? She does not have SSN, so should I apply for an ITIN before filing my return. Since I am from India...

Tax forms for H1B with F1 dependent [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am currently on H1B status, and have been recently married to someone with a F1 status. My question is two fold.. 1. Is there any advantage of filing taxes together? 2. If we do decide to file together, what are the appropriate forms that we need to fill out? Any help would be...

Claiming dependent [ 1 Answers ]

I've had joint custody of my daughter for 7 yrs. I am wondering if I can claim her on my taxes every other year. I have called the child support agency here and just get the run around they could give me an answer. But it seemed to be OK with the mother. Thank for any help

View more questions Search