Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sherick11 Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Jan 8, 2008, 07:54 PM
    US Citizen Moving to Dubai UAE - Taxes?
    I have a friend who has recently made a permanent move from the US to work in Dubai. I'm unsure if the company he is working for is US owned or not. Will he have to pay US taxes on the money he makes in Dubai? Thanks!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 8, 2008, 08:15 PM
    There are a lot of rules, into what the pay will be, how long he will be there and more,
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 8, 2008, 09:14 PM
    He may be eligible for the Foreign Income Exclusion (depends on how much he makes).

However, regardless of whether he is eligible or not, he DOES have to file a tax return for the foreseeable future.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 9, 2008, 01:36 AM
    1. A U.S. citizen or resident must report worldwide income and must file tax return if he/she meets the filing requirement.
    2. On the foreign income he may be eligible for Earned Income Exclusion up to $85,700 (in 2007) and/or foreign tax credit.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 9, 2008, 10:17 AM
    Agreed!
    Virginia_US_Tax Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Jan 5, 2011, 04:56 AM
    Yes, US Income tax must be paid, but certain exclusions from income may be available. Americans working abroad may be eligible to exclude from U.S. taxable income certain foreign earned income (Generally, salary / compensation -- For 2010 $91,500)and foreign housing costs (IRS will announce amounts for high rent cities like Dubai). The exclusions apply regardless of whether any foreign tax is paid on the foreign earned income or housing amounts (Dubai currently imposes no income tax). Significantly many Americans do not realize that these exclusion benefits can be claimed only if a tax return is filed within certain time deadlines. Those who have dropped out of the tax reporting system risk losing these valuable tax benefits and incurring harsh penalties unless prompt action is taken to correct the filing situation. Expats should be very concerned about information reporting with regard to foreign bank and other financial accounts, as well as if they own any interests in foreign businesses. (e.g. FBAR and Form 5471 to name a few). I am a US tax lawyer, based in Dubai and happy to assist. I am listed on the US Consulate Website for tax help. Virginia

myvinnyboy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2012, 11:52 AM
    I am considering a move to Dubai from the US Please contact me as I need to do this correctly from the start
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 1, 2012, 02:05 PM
    If you want my professional help, double-click on my title above and scroll down to my profile/signature. You will find my email address and websites there.
    SeemaSingh1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2013, 07:32 AM
    My Name is Seema M. Singh Esq. and I am an attorney in New Jersey, USA. I have clients who are US citizens looking to move to Dubai and I need to consult with you regarding how to structure their companies so that they can continue to operate their business in the US may through a holding company/investment company in Dubai and to avail of the No Income tax in Dubai and to get the exclusions for tax returns filed in the US.

You can visit my website on www.ssinghlaw.com
    Please let me know a good time to speak to you. My email is [email protected] and my office phone is 609-454-3168.

Look forward to discussing this further with you and engaging your services should this work out for my client.
    Thank you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

UK citizen on L1A visa in US - liable for US taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

Good Morning: Great to be able to ask questions in this kind of a forum. Here is the issue: UK citizen working in the US on an L1A visa. He is paid on a UK payroll and receives his pay split equally between an offshore account and a US bank account. He is currently based in the US. Is he...

Taxes-F1 Student married to a US Citizen [ 4 Answers ]

Dear experts, I have a very secific question regarding my F-1 visa status and my taxes. I came here in 2003 on an F1 visa and got married to a US citizen in 2005.We are both NY residents through the whole 2003-2007 year period. I am still on my F1 status , even though we intend to file the...

US Citizen filing taxes and my wife lives abroad [ 3 Answers ]

I'm a U.S. citizen and my wife resides in Saudi Arabia. I'm in the process of bringing her here. I'm filing my taxes right now and I want to file as "married/filing joint". Since she doesn't have an SSN, is the ITIN the only thing I need to apply for? Also, where can she notarize the copy...

Taxes: Moving [ 1 Answers ]

I have two questions I was wondering if someone could help me with. This year I moved from one state to another (Ohio to Michigan) at the beginning of September. When I do my income taxes, do I request all my money back from Ohio and then pay Michigan? Or do I end up paying a percentage to each...

Taxes for Indian Citizen on H1 in US [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I am a citizen from India. I am currently on H1 visa. I have been on H1 since 2003. Which tax form should I file? Am I allowed to be treated as non resident under tax treaty and file NR form? Last year I was a dual status but instead filed 1040 EZ. I think I could have filed 1040 NR...

View more questions Search