Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deanastan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2007, 04:05 PM
    Inheritance tax-do we pay?
    Hi- my parents will be getting a sum of money from my dad's aunt in Scottsdale Arizona who passed away last year. They are unsure of the amount- but it should be quite a bit- possibly thousands of dollars. She lived in Arizona- we live in Illinois. My dad's tax guy said they will have to pay 34% of the amount- whatever it may be. Is this right?? I didn't know if the Arizona/Illinois tax thing was different or the same! I need an answer and make it simple please! Do they pay anything or not?? THANKS!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 30, 2007, 04:18 PM
    An inheritance tax is an assessment made on the portion of an estate received by an individual. It differs from an estate tax which is a tax levied on an entire estate before it is distributed to individuals. It is strictly a state tax. Eleven states still collect an inheritance tax. They are: Connecticut, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Nebraska, New Jersey, Oregon, Pennsylvania and Tennessee. Connecticut will be phased out after 2005. In all states, transfers of assets to a spouse are exempt from the tax. In some states, transfers to children and close relatives are also exempt.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 30, 2007, 11:58 PM
    Most states follow the IRS exemption of $2 MILLION for inheritance taxes.

That being the case, you will owe ZERO inheritance taxes.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Dec 31, 2007, 12:34 AM
    deanastan's parents don't pay any federal tax on inheritance of any amount (without any limit) unless his parents inherit traditional IRA.
    There may be some state tax on inheritance, so check at your state web site. Many states do not tax inheritances.
    So find out from your dad's tax guy about how he got this 34% figure.

The $2 million exemption is for the Estate taxes of his dad's aunt. It is the estate that has to pay the estate taxes.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 1, 2008, 09:16 AM
    Agreed!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Inheritance from outside the US [ 2 Answers ]

My father was a UK citizen and lived all his life in the UK. I am a US resident. He recently died and under the terms of his will, I am to receive an inheritance in excess of $100,000. If the money is transferred into my US bank account, does that become taxable income?

Inheritance [ 1 Answers ]

Ok - My wife is ready for a divorce after 7 years. Her father just recently past and left her with a sizable inheritance. According to California law I'm not intitled to any of this money. Is this true? Over the past 5 years my wife has spent more than a year out of state caring for her father. I...

Inheritance [ 2 Answers ]

I have just received a cash inheritance of $49,900. The inheritance tax was already paid prior to the distribution. I can't seem to get an answer as to whether I have to pay both Federal tax and Maryland State tax. I was also told to hold 1/3 back for state tax in MD. Can anyone clarify for me...

Inheritance [ 3 Answers ]

I would like find out what inheritance of divorced couples and one is re-married:confused:If my pension will be divided between two husband even #1 not in my will?

Inheritance [ 1 Answers ]

My husband will be receiving an inheritance from an Aunt who past away. He will be receiving funds from a 401K account which we were told is all taxable and then from the sale of her home. Need some suggestions on how not to lose too much to Uncle Sam. Any help will be appericated.

View more questions Search