Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ksnvas Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2005, 05:15 PM
    Employer in VA. Work in MA. Live in NH. Whom I should pay taxes.
    Hi,
    I work as a contractor in MA on behalf of my employer who is based in VA. I live in NH. I receive pay check from VA based company for the work performed at their client's office in MA. I live in NH. To which state(s) I should pay taxes to?
    clukkes Posts: 43, Reputation: 3

Oct 20, 2005, 05:32 PM
    I would pay taxws to he state you reside at
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 21, 2005, 05:10 AM
    Ksnvas:

The answer provided by clukkes is too simplistic.

In fact, you will need to file and pay taxes on your MA-based income for both NH and MA. When you file the NH return, NH will give you a credit for the taxes you paid to MA against the tax liability you owe to NH. That way, you are not double-taxed.

Strongly recommend that you do not file these returns yourself. You need professional tax help. I am available for this work. You will find my rates to be very reasonable, and I can provide references from several clients who have used my services whom I have never met in person.

It is your choice! Contact me at [email protected] if you are interested.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Live in NJ, work IN NY [ 4 Answers ]

This year I received 2 W2's (though I have just one job and one source of income). The Federal data is the same on both W2's. The state data is different, One states NJ in Box 15, They did not exculde the 403(b) contributions and so the number is higher than the federal wages (box 1). The other W2...

Can employer deduct SS &Medicare taxes while on F1? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I've been reading through previous posts & while there are some similarities to my situation, I think there are some key differences and I would appreciate any help I can get on this matter. I graduated from graduate school in Massachusetts in June 2005 and thus, have been on F1 visa...

Live in NYC Work in NJ [ 1 Answers ]

I was told that if you live in NYC (Brooklyn) and work in NJ you are taxed twice. I understand that you pay taxes to both states, & NY City; but overall are you taxed more than the situation if you lived and worked in NYC only based on a $30,000 salary. Also from the following situations which...

Employer in VA, I Live in NH which State Tax should be Withheld and filed for? [ 1 Answers ]

I work for and receive salary from, a company based in VA. I work in Boston, MA at the location of a Client of my employer. I live in NH and commute to MA. Which State Tax my employer should withheld and Where should I file my Tax Returns? Is it VA because the source of Salary is from VA based...

H1B, employer not paying withheld income taxes [ 3 Answers ]

I know that my employer isn't paying the income taxes that he withholds from my salary. Does that affect my situation regarding my H1B? I mean in the application it says that I should be paid a certain salary to have this Visa and if the taxes that are withheld are not paid it will look like I have...

View more questions Search