Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amitstu Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2007, 10:37 AM
    Joint return for F-1 wife?
    Hi,
    I've been on a H1-B status since 2003. I married in 2006 and my wife was on an F-1 visa in 2006. Can we file a joint return? Does she need to send form 8843? Her income in 2003 was less than the standard exemption.
    Thanks!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 20, 2007, 09:24 AM
    Yes, you CAN file jointly and she must choose to be treated as a resident alien for ALL of 2006.

In doing so, she becomes a resident alien for tax purposes in 2007, and must pay Social Security and Medicare taxes retroactive to 1 January 2007, even though she is still on a F-1 visa.

Something to thing about!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F-1 and H1-B joint tax return [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am a new user of this forum. I have browsed through some of the tax queries and the answers from AtlantaTax expert. I greatly appreciate the help you provide. I have a few questions. I am on F-1 visa since I came to US in Aug. 2001. My wife was on F-1 from July 2003 to June 2006, but...

F1 5 years - OPT-H1, joint return but my wife has 1042S, I have 1042S from stock too! [ 2 Answers ]

Help!! My case is a little complicated. I started my F-1 from Aug, 2001. Since Oct 2005, I started to use OPT and got my H-1 at Oct 1, 2006. My wife started her F-1 from Aug 2003, and has not change since then. For 2005, I still filed non-resident alien. 1) I assume I can do joint...

How I can fill tax return wihtout my wife ITIN # and show her at my tax return [ 4 Answers ]

I'm a h1 visa holder living New York and my wife joined with me she has h4 visa When I fill this year tax return I want to get benefit how I can get ITIN # for her Yes I know about W-7 form but it's very confision Give me some info please step by step Thanks

F1 Visa:NY Return:Filing joint or separate? [ 1 Answers ]

I am claiming my dependent on 1040NR and I am checking the box "Married Resident of Canada". What does this imply on my NY return then as there is no such option? Is it filing separately or jointly? There is no option on 1040NR that states married filing joint return or married filing separately so...

View more questions Search