Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hareyaqma Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2017, 05:56 PM
    Employment termination payment (ETP)
    I have resigned from my work on 01/JUl/17.
    ETP was not applied to my final pay.
    Is this right ?
    Company payroll Dept said, it doesn't apply when you tender your resignation.
    Please advise.
    Thank you.
    Harry Hareyama
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 18, 2017, 07:03 PM
    You were NOT terminated, but resigned a totally voluntary action. Review your contract or company policy and procedure.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 18, 2017, 07:07 PM
    You don't say what country. You don't even define 'employment termination payment.' I have never heard of it before.
    I don't know the laws of every country in the world.
    Find out what the law is where you are.

In the US, an employer has to pay you for every day worked, even if you quit. But if ETP means anything beyond actual work, then why would you expect it when you quit?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2017, 07:31 PM
    Not sure where you are but the term ETP is not common in the US. I see it for Australia and Canada. Here is one point noted.

ETPs do not include either:

• lump sum payments for unused annual or long service leave
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 18, 2017, 07:44 PM
    The previous answers seem to make sense.

I have NEVER encountered ETP in my tax business, so I have NO answer/
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2017, 04:29 AM
    I might venture a guess its similar to Severance pay in the USA, and if it is, you are not entitled to it if you quit. Only what you have earned up until that point.

They have something similar to that in Italy only its called something different (due to obvious language differences) (trattamento di fine rapporto, TFR)
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 19, 2017, 08:30 AM
    Agreed!

If ETP is the equivalent to severance pay, then the OP is NOT entitled to it because he resigned.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2017, 02:40 PM
    1. "trattamento di fine rapporto". I think I had that with a pesto sauce last time!!
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2017, 03:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    1. "trattamento di fine rapporto". I think I had that with a pesto sauce last time!!
    Local Dialect where I spend my time has another name for it... but it literally won't translate well like ANY idiom. Actually impossible to do a direct translation of any idiom into another language... it ends up being jibberish. Learned that REAL quick when I moved there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unfair termination from employment [ 1 Answers ]

I was recently terminated from a part time job from a cell phone provider for what they call a "code of business conduct" violation. What happened was I accidentally upgraded a customer that was not the authorized account holder. The whole thing began by I was dealing with a customer with whom I...

Termination from employment [ 1 Answers ]

I was terminated from my job as a vocational instructor for misconduct, inapporiate behavior.A student wrote a letter to the director stating that she overheard me talking about another instructor. I was called in the office a week later and terminated. I was never informed of this allegation until...

Termination of Employment by Email [ 3 Answers ]

Hello On the 28 May I received an email advising me that my employment had been terminated. My normal pay was scheduled to go into the bank on 28 th May (period 14th May - 25 May) and they deliberately stopped the pay going into my bank account. They also subsequently demanded the return of...

Termination of At Will Employment [ 3 Answers ]

If an at will employee is terminated by their employer for cause and investigation finds that there is no evidence to support the claim, can that employee then sue the employer for wrongful termination given that the employer could not supply evidence to show just cause?

Termination of At Will Employment [ 1 Answers ]

If an at will employee is terminated by their employer for cause and investigation finds that there is no evidence to support the claim, can that employee then sue the employer for wrongful termination given that the employer could not supply evidence to show just cause?

View more questions Search