Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tonya123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2016, 11:33 AM
    Tax Filing status
    My husband has been in and out of our home several times on last year for weeks at a time. During those times I had no financial support from him. He has been consistently out of the home for the last four months of last year. I pay all the bills. We have four children. Can I legally file another tax status other than MFS or MFJ. Can he claim any of the children although they do not live with him.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 13, 2016, 11:59 AM
    In the eyes of the IRS, the custodial parent gets to claim the children, unless you both agree otherwise.

Now, as to your filing status, MFS or MFJ are your only two options. To file Head of Household, he must be OUT of the house for SIX months. Your post says he was gone for only four months, so you do not qualify.

Recommend you file quickly, preferably electronically, because if he efiles first and claims one, several or all of the kids, then you will have to file by normal mail and ask the IRS to determine who is entitled to claim the children.

This all assumes that you in fact have a job and are bringing home a paycheck. If not, then you need to coordinate with him to file Married Filing Jointly, then negotiate who gets the refund.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax filing status - Married filing jointly or separately, without spouse's SSN [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a query regarding income tax return filing status - to be filled as Married filing jointly or separately. I came to San Jose, CA, US in May 2013 & will be going back to India in Jan 2014. I am married & have 1 year old son. My wife & baby travelled to US just for 5 weeks, but...

General Tax Query related to Federal and State Tax and Filing Status. [ 3 Answers ]

I am a Married Indian resident. I had visited US in 2006 twice on H1B. I have never been to US earlier. Period of Visit: March 2006-April2006 approx 44 Days - Income from NY. Stayed in NJ August 2006 – Sept 2006 approx 32 Days. - Income from NJ. Stayed in NJ My company paid the salary...

Tax filing status [ 1 Answers ]

I am holding H1 visa currently and residing in US I am single now and getting married in this December.can I file my taxes as jointly if my wife enters US in 2009? She will be holding a H4 visa when entering US. Thanks in advance Kris

Tax Filing Status [ 2 Answers ]

I am on H1B, going thru' a divorce for last one and a half years in India. My wife has not lived with me and is in India for last one and a half years. What should be my filing status. Can I still file as married filing jointly if my divorce is not finalized as of Dec. 31st of last year or should I...

Filing tax status [ 2 Answers ]

Which is more advantages to file married jointly or separated?

View more questions Search