Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    funiyo's Avatar
    funiyo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Apr 11, 2008, 11:31 AM
    Shoud State tax refund be taxable in 2007?
    I filed federal tax 2006 by using 1040NR-EZ form and deducted the state tax withheld during 2006 as an itemized deduction, which amount about $4700. Then in 2007 I received a state tax refund for tax year 2006 about $4100.

    For federal tax return 2007 I change my status to resident, so I use 1040 form for filing this year. I'm not sure whether I should include state tax refund $4100 in my income?

    I found that state tax refund is not taxable if my itemized deductions in 2006 is less than the standard deduction (which is $5150). However, someone told me that if I filed 2006 federal tax by using 1040NR-EZ I have to include state tax refund as income on my federal return 2007 anyway. Is it correct? So, what should I do with the state tax refund in federal tax return 2007?

    Thank you in advance for your answer.
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    May 6, 2008, 10:15 AM
    Yes, since you deducted the state income tax as an itemized deduction for the 2006 tax return, you need to claim the refund as income in 2007.

    The standard deduction exception does NOT apply in your case.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Time to claim tax refund year 2007 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was working in vail, Colorado the last year with a visa h2b, I want to know, when the time limit is to present form 1040, so I can claim my tax refund. I used to do this in Colorado, but know Iīm living in mexico city, I try to do this by e-file but I couldnīt. I need to know, if I have...

Tax Refund USA 2006-2007 [ 1 Answers ]

Hello everybody! I'm from Peru and I worked in usa through a Work and Travel Usa Program, and I'd like to know wich are the steps that I have to following in order to get may taxes. I've already had my W-2 form, and somebody told me that I can get it through pages web. So I'll really appreciate...

2007 tax refund for everybody [ 3 Answers ]

My question is how do I go about helping my mother on SS get her refund this year?

L1 in US with family aince October 26, 2007 - taxable marital status - single [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I came L1 visa from India on October 26 2007, to WA state in USA. I came here along with my wife and two kids (6 yrs and 1 yr). In W2 and pay slips my marital status is shown as 'single'. Also, in Jan 2008 I was in India for a 12 day short visit. In my case

Filing 1099's W/$0 income-2007 tax yr. Is a refund possible? [ 15 Answers ]

Hello, This is my very first time on the ask me desk. Here is my question- Filing 1099's W/$0 income for the 2007 tax year. Yes folks, 0 income stated on the 1099's We are a family of 5, 2 adults, 3 children and we have almost completely depleted our savings. We are both Realtors...

View more questions Search