Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    snoozin's Avatar
    snoozin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Feb 2, 2006, 07:30 PM
    Selling house after less than 2 yrs
    I bought a house a year and a half ago and may need to move because of my job. What do I need to know regarding taxes on the sale? If I put all the money from the sale of my house into a new house, will I be exempt from taxes?
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,818, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Feb 2, 2006, 10:01 PM

    You may not qualify for the full $250,00 exemption, but you should qualify for 75%, or $187,500. That should be enough to cover the profit on the sale of your house.

    Get a competent tax pro to prepare your return if you sell the house.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Selling Automobiles [ 8 Answers ]

Does anyone have any information on the best way to go when trying to sell a vehicle you still owe on? Instead of having to bring negative equity over into a new vehicle, I would rather try to sell mine and let someone else take over the payments. My trade in value is less than payoff...

Selling my house during chapter 7 [ 0 Answers ]

I need to know if I can sell my house during a chapter 7 or if I have to wait until it's finalized. I am already 3 months behind on my payments and just filed 3 weeks ago. I also got a letter from a lawyers office saying that there was a creditors exam that I did not show up for and that there is a...

Selling a house under a chapter 13 [ 3 Answers ]

My husband recently filed a chapter 13 in Ohio. Are we able to sell our house?

Filing taxes after selling a house [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I sold a house in July 2005 after living in the house a little over 3 years. I was curious what type of tax forms I need to use and if I can take into consideration a second mortgage that we had on the house?

View more questions Search