Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    nesquick's Avatar
    nesquick Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Apr 3, 2013, 09:28 AM
    Returning j1 visa and tax treaty benefit
    Dear all,

    I am a British Citizen, I worked for two years in the US and claimed the tax treaty benefit. I have since returned to the UK for a period of 2 years and plan to return to the US on a research scholarship j1 visa. Can I still claim the tax treaty benefit? Or do I have to start paying back the previous tax years from when I first arrived on US soil?

    Thanks for your help,
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,818, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Apr 4, 2013, 11:33 AM
    Yes, you can claim the benefits a second time; see extract from the Technical explanation of Article 20A of U.S. - U.K. Tax Treaty.

    A person who meets the qualifications for this exemption may again claim its benefits if he first re-establishes his residence in the other Contracting State. In such case, the person claiming these benefits on a subsequent occasion must first satisfy the competent authority of the first-mentioned Contracting State that he had become a resident of the other State for a substantial period of time (normally at least one year).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does returning as a tourist affect the Tax Treaty Exemption? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a UK citizen working on a J1 Scholar Visa in the US. I am currently under the UK-US Tax Treaty to be exempt from taxes as long as do not stay longer than 2 years in the USA. I would like to know whether this Exemption rule would be invalidated if, after having left the USA, I then returned...

Should I benefit from Tax treaty between US and China? [ 16 Answers ]

Dear Help Desk: I am a postdoc in life sciences. I came here from China in 1999 as a F1 student and now hold H1B visa. Our payroll still files W9 form for me which claims the tax-treaty Article 20(c) - $5000 is tax-free. I am just wondering whether this is correct. Thank you very much.

Should I benefit from Tax treaty between US and China? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Tax Experts, I am an Chinese citizen and came to US on 27th August 2008 on H1B Visa. Since then, I have been working in USA. Now I have some questions about filing tax return forms. Your help is greatly appreciated! In the tax year of 2008 I do not satisfy the Substantial Presence Test. I...

Tax refund and Treaty benefit [ 1 Answers ]

I am Indian research scholar on J1. I came to US in Aug 2005 and will be returning back to India in April 2007. I have been paying tax ever since I came here and my wife has been working since Jan 2006. She has also been paying her taxes. Does the tax treaty with India allow us to claim a full...

Forms for returning US-India Tax treaty benefit [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I came to US in 2004 December as a researcher and signed for US-India tax exemption treaty, and have taken the full benefit for 2004 and 2005. However, I overstayed and now would like to return the benefit taken. Please let me know which form should I use to pay back the tax benefit.

View more questions Search