Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    chisbel's Avatar
    chisbel Posts: 3, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jul 20, 2008, 10:55 AM
    Retirement and social security check taxes
    I did no get an answer to my previous question.
    How much federal income tax will someone have to pay on retirement check of $45,000 per year?
    smearcase's Avatar
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

    Jul 20, 2008, 03:11 PM
    I am not a tax expert but I can tell you it is not possible to answer your question based on the information provided. I assume the $ 45K is part reirement and part soc. Security?
    It is simple to estimate if you go to IRS Forms and
    I don't know what form you normally use. The info below is an example based on use of the 1040 form. It is also based on 2007 regulations which could change before 2008 taxes are due.
    You need to complete the 1040 form down through income (stop at social security line) and then you go to a worksheet (the worksheet is on page 24 of the instructions) for determining how much (if any) of your social security is taxable income. You would then have to complete the rest of the form to determine what your approximate tax would be. I don't know an easier way to do it unless maybe if you have a tax program on your computer.
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,823, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Jul 21, 2008, 11:36 AM

    You need to give us more information. We need to know:

    - Is it a private retirement check, or part SS and part private pension?

    - Are you married or single?

    - Are there are dependents? If so, what age?

    - Are there are any OTHER sources of income?

    THAT is why you got no answer!
    free grants's Avatar
    free grants Posts: 46, Reputation: 1
    Junior Member

    Jul 21, 2008, 11:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chisbel
    I did no get an answer to my previous question.
    How much federal income tax will someone have to pay on retirement check of $45,000 per year?
    I am not expert in federal income tax and the best things you do is to check the IRS website about retirement benefits and check. Internal Revenue Service
    MukatA's Avatar
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

    Jul 22, 2008, 12:19 AM
    Need more info about the retirement check.
    If it is taxable income, then it will be taxed as ordinary income.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Retirement and social security check taxes [ 1 Answers ]

How much taxes will I have to pay on a $45,000 per year retirement check?

How to Claim Social Security taxes & medicare taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I worked on my CPT and OPT from July 2006 to June 2008 and paid Social Security taxes & medicare taxes, how can I claim them back? Thank you.

Taxes on social security retirement v. Disability income [ 1 Answers ]

I am going to file for social security this year, the first time I am eligible to obtain social security without being penalized and to obtain my maximum amount at 65 years 10 months (born 1942). My disability carrier is having me file for disability under social security. If I am approved,...

OPT social security taxes [ 3 Answers ]

Dear Experts! I guess this is one of the streotype questions that arise over and over again, But I can not find an answer. Please help me. I came to US as a F-1 student in July, 2002, and finished my degree in Aug, 2007. Now I am working, but still in F-1 status with OPT, starting Sep, 2007...

View more questions Search